Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Portable router table?

Re: Portable router table?

Rhonda,
    I'm coming in a little late here on your question about the tablesaw/bench dog combo...

It sounds like you and you're husband are in the position that I was several years ago, trying to put a functional shop together without breaking the bank. I also started with a tablesaw & router table, good choice! I was able to do ALOT with only those, a few hand tools, and some homemade jigs. I got the Grizzly 1022SM (it has sheet metal wings instead of cast iron) thinking someday I'd upgrade the wings and fence. But I spent extra time assembling it, and was able to get the wings very planar with the table. And I alway double check the parallelness (is that a word?) of the fence after I move it. So I'd probably work faster with a better fence. So anyway, great starter tablesaw for the money, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything yet.

I don't think that I would like the bench dog extension, simply because there are times that I go back and forth between the router & TS, and I'd hate to have the two tools on one table interfere with each other. For example, what if you're using a sled on the TS? You'd have to lower the bit on the router. I prefer having them seperate, unless you are short on space.

Most others have said that they made their own router table. I agree. I was lucky enough to receive a well-made, home-made, router table & fence from Dad, and I've never seen anything that matches up for any price. When I was in school I used the university shop in the evenings, and even though this shop had all commercial grade equipment, the router table was also home made. I've never shopped for a router table, but what I've seen has been disappointing.

Good luck,
    Mike

What turned into an innocent search for the perfect birthday router table has turned into an ugly buying spree (with my hubbie's approval--though he still doesn't know about the router table).

My husband brought up the subject of needing a few tools such as a table saw, bandsaw, planer, etc. and said "buy them". Woodworker's Supply has 10% off for new customers, good prices, and free shipping so I was able to get a good deal on the Delta 36-431445 with the Biesemeyer fence. I also picked up the Delta 13" planer with the snipe control. The reviews I read on this indicated it was a great machine.

I'm now looking for a 14" band saw, jointer, and drill press. Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Grizzly web site but am concerned that they'll only ship to places with docks. Will they drop off without a dock?

And I still haven't decided on a router table yet!!!

Thanks!

Rhonda

Rhonda -- There are a few good Websites with tool reviews. One of my faves is here. Also, Iturra Designs (the guru of bandsaws) did an excellent review and chose the Delta 14" over all others, including the Jet and Grizzly. His report is full of specs and photos showing why the Delta is superior. I can't validate that firsthand since I use a Laguna 16" for resawing.

Pete

Rhonda, I've got a Grizzly 6" jointer that I absolutely love despite my initial reservations about the company. I had it delivered to the nearest truck freight terminal and picked it up there in my pick up truck. It was heavy but nothing two people couldn't manage. I don't have a recommendation for you other than to not sweat the delivery too much [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

That Delta planer i can contest to. It is exellent for the money The snip control helps alots. Did you get the extra set of knives with it? I got mine at woodworkers wharehouse. You will love that fence on the table saw. Thats about the best you can get. Its real rigid and locks square to the blade every time. Enjoy your new tools.
    Larry

The link doesn't work...I wanna see too! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You'll be happy with the Delta. Delta stands behind its tools pretty well and even sent me a repair part after the warranty had been expired (for a couple of weeks).

Steve

Here's the link again Woodworker's Supply

It looks like the free shipping has expired but the 10% off for new customers continues.

Egon,

I saw your question about router bits and thought you may be interested in this Router Bit Matchup . They reviewed 17 bits and not surprisingly, Whiteside came out on top. Hope it helps!

Rhonda

<font color="purple"> I'm now looking for a 14" band saw, jointer, and drill press </font color>

As others have mentioned, the Delta 14" bandsaw is quite nice; I had one of these in a home shop for a few years. It is a wonderful machine.

For a jointer, I would go with "depth-of-cut" as a criteria. You can do many rabbeting, tapering, beveling, free-hand, and other applications on the jointer given enough depth-of-cut, such as 1/2" (my favorite). "Width-of-cut" (a 4", or a 6" jointer) would dictate just what you want to cut. The jointer is probably the most under-rated woodwoorking tool...I used the jointer second only to the table saw..

For a drill press, a 1/2" chuck is a minimum, and as many speeds as you can get is the plus.