Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy used OEM stereo

Where to buy used OEM stereo

The reason I've been asking questions about truck CD players is because the AM/FM cassette in my 89 Chevy pickup went kerplunk. I priced a new one to replace it and they're several hundred dollars. So, I figure now's the time to upgrade to CD anyway.

So, due to the stereo going out and the mileage getting up there pretty high anyway (over 180K), I'm considering buying a newer pickup and wanted to know what's available and what to look for and watch out for.

Or, if I could find a used AM/FM CD player that would fit in the original slot, I would consider doing that since it would help resale anyway if I still traded.

Is there a good place on the web that has used OEM stereos? I want one that will fit in the dash in place of the defective one, not an under dash or whatever.

Re: Where to buy used OEM stereo

Mosey, dont' know what your budget is, but for new check out Crutchfield CD/MP3 players Several there for <$300.

I've done a couple radios from them. They sell with a connector to adapt the new unit to the factory radio harness. Saves figuring out what wire does what & makes the install much much easier.

Still looking for a reason to get a new truck? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Hazmat - "Still looking for a reason to get a new truck?"

Yup!

Danny I wonder if GM made an in dash AM/FM/CD in '89? Or one that would fit in an '89.
    Retire the old girl, and get ya a new one........ [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry

The AM/FM cassette in my '98 Ram went out and I replaced it with another AM/FM cassette from a junkyard...$100. They didn't have a factory CD in stock and I didn't feel like making a mission out of it.

In '89 didn't GM have the funny split radio? The cassette deck was actually in the middle of the dash vs where the rest of the AM/FM unit was? Might have a little trouble getting something to fit that. I'm sure there are some that do, but don't know how many.

We replaced a toasted stereo in our 92 chevy pickup at work. Went down to Best Buy when they had the free install deal and bought a $119 am/fm/cd player. They pulled the old stereo and stuck a change cubicle in that location. Then they pulled the existing change cubicle (where the tape deck would have gone originally) and put the stereo in that location. I for one would never have thought that they could put the stereo in a different location than the original, but they did. Looks great, works fine, we're happy [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Try a wrecker. they usually have them. Beware though, they still aint cheap...

I would try Ebay. I have picked up AM/FM radios for my trucks for under 50 bucks.

Steve

yep ebay is the way to go...just take your time and watch them...you will get one cheap.