Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy used OEM stereo

Re: Where to buy used OEM stereo

It's very, very common for people to remove that particular OEM stereo for those trucks and replace it with a more conventionally sized and shaped head unit. Is there any reason you want the OEM style AM-FM/cassette in your older P-U? If not, you can remove the cassette portion and the trim piece which surrounds it and put in a standard size head unit there and a new trim piece designed to fit around it. I replace them that way all the time. You can even find the trim pieces in colors to match your interior trim.

The existing head unit can be left in place or removed. If you remove it there is a trim piece you can get to cover that area and give your entire dash a nice, finished look. It's been my experience that you can buy a nice after market unit with all the trim pieces I described for less money than you will likely spend on a used OEM AM-FM cassette package.

If you decide you want to go with that after market set up and can't locate a source for the trim pieces feel free to let me know and I'll get you in touch with a source I've used.

jwstewar - Yes, it does have the split unit like you described. I'm not sure what my options are for replacing it.

Fishman - I guess I need to check with Best Buy. I didn't know it was possible to do that. $119 for a am/fm/cd player installed is a great price! What exactly is a "change cubicle"? I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying. What did you have in the dash next to the speedometer and what did you have in the center of dash before you had Best Buy install the new one? What ended up in the dash next to the speedometer and what ended up in the center of dash after you had Best Buy install the new one? What brand did you get and does it have anti-skip on the CD?

Gary - I didn't realize after market units were available that would fit in the existing slots for this split unit. I have no reason to keep the OEM style AM-FM/cassette and would much prefer to replace it with a AM-FM/CD that would fit in the original slot(s). I just don't want something under the dash, since it's too easy to steal and gets in the way. What do you mean by "head unit"? I need to replace the AM-FM part as well, since it doesn't work either (it makes a loud buzzing/whining noise whether I'm playing the AM-FM, or the cassette, which probably means the cassette part is actually OK and the amp in the main unit is what's bad). I'd like something that has similar controls if possible, but it's not necessary.

What Fishman is calling a "change cubicle" is just an empty plastic box-like opening in the dash. For lack of a better description, think of it like a little glove box without the door. Instead of your existing OEM radio that space will have a little plastic box where you might put some smaller items.

By "head unit," I meant the radio portion of your stereo system (what you called "the AM-FM part"). You could just leave it there if you wanted. The plug and antenna will be disconnected so it'll just be there but won't hurt anything. If you get a new CD player with a removable face the old radio could actually act as a decoy if someone's looking to steal a stereo. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As to radio controls on your new unit, that's completely up to you. You can now shop for any conventional radio/CD combo you'd like and it'll fit and work just fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary - Thanks for clearing that up! I'll look at some radio/CD combo units. The extra little "glove box" sounds like it would come in handy, since my main one is full! I guess the only disadvantage is that it will be more of a reach to get to the controls, but that's a small disadvantage. It will be worth the savings, plus now I can get a CD that will play MP3 format.

Mosey,

Gary did a great job answering most of your question, so I just have a little to add. The unit was a JVC and it has never skipped, but I don't know if it has an anti-skip feature. I also don't know if it can play mp3.

Best Buy only runs the free install special on occasion. Best bet is to keep an eye on their flier or ask someone in their stereo section.

We don't find that the controls are all that difficult to reach, although I did have the same concern you did.
    Fishman

Go to your local stereo store and ask them if they have a pull out that will fit your truck. A lot of times people will tell them to keep the old stereo when they buy a new one.