Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pup decided he wants to eat poop

Re: New pup decided he wants to eat poop

If you catch them young, we've had success breaking pups of the habit by sprinkling a little Adolf's Meat Tenderizer on their food. Not much -- lots of salt in that stuff!

Works on the same principle as the pills, but much less expensive.

Pete

We had a doberman pup several years ago that liked to eat cat poop out of the litter box. Then he would proceed to puke it on the floor a few minutes later. I had a saying back then, "the only thing that smells worse than cat poop is cat poop that the dog ate and then threw up on the floor!"

We did not keep the dog. Not only was he a poop eater, he seems like kind of a wus too. About a year later I visited the folks I had given the dog to. He was this monstrous, deep voiced dog that looked like he would prefer my leg for lunch over cat poop any day. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It seemed that he had outgrown his wus stage... never did find out if his craving for poop went away.

I had a cocker spaniel once. He did not eat poop but... once on a six hour trip I let him out for a break. I saw him rolling on the ground and went to investigate. Right next to where he was rolling I saw some "used" toilet paper. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what he was rolling in! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] He spent the remainder of the trip on the floor of the car and was lucky he did not find what it was like to travel in the trunk! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Chris

cayanne pepper...cover the poop in cayanne pepper. dogs hate spices so if you spread anything very spicy on somethig you dont want them to eat they wont. worked for me. plus dont scold her for eating poop unless you catch her in the act....otherwise she will think she got in trouble for you finding the poop and she will there fore eat more poop to make sure you dont find it!

Gotta keep your eyes on dogs who go for "feline fudge". It's not the poop so much as it is the litter (sprinkles?) that can wreak havoc with them.
    My one girl only eats her poop in the winter after the snow gets here, and it doesn't need to be that fresh either. I think it has something to do with her not being able to "graze" on the dirt, grubs, grass... she doesn't eat my other dog's poop. The one year I gave her Deter pills plus Spirulina and Barley Grass vitamins. I 'm not sure if that stopped her or if it was the thaw. Now I just scoop after them twice a day. I'd rather do it this way than have a hundred land mines to clean up in the spring. Well, 50 anyway, like I said she only eats her own.

I'm curious about the cow patty eating dogs. Aren't they more succeptible to getting tapeworms doing this?

Fred

my baths in cow dung...before she goes hunting! covers up the sent. she has never gotton worms from eating any though.

<font color="blue"> I'd rather do it this way than have a hundred land mines to clean up in the spring </font color>

With four goldens of our own and usually a few rescues, we finally gave up and go for the spring cleanup. Use the backhoe to dig a shallow trench downhill. Use the leaf blower to blow massive qtys of poop downhill into the trench. Use the FEL to backfill the trench. Plant flowers on top for aesthetics. Problem gone.

Pete

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Boy, Pete, that's one of the most creative ways I've heard of to get more tractor seat time! Using your tractor to bury dog poop!!![img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I used to come home and go on poop patrol with shovel and bucket, tossing the daily contribution into the dirt road so the town plow would take it away. But all too often the daily land mines would be covered with fresh snow by the time I got home, or it would be dark by the time I got home. Hence, a lot of cleanup in the springtime. Not fun!

Can't fault me for getting creative, though. The wife calls it the "Annual Blowing of the Poop!"
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Pete

hazmat - Too bad we aren't neighbors. Your dogs could come and eat my cat's poop anytime and I'd be happy! I feel your pain though, my son and daughter always come back with a new bad habit after a stay at their grandparents!

I like your solution, Pete! Very creative indeed. I just opened a boarding kennel a few months ago, so I guess I have scoopin' in my blood. I have been thinking of digging a hole and burying in the busy season, though. I just wasn't sure because dog poop doesn't break down like farm animal poop. Leave it to me to be putting in more fencing and hit an "unexplained" pocket of methane with the auger bit [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Fred