Chuck,

Wild strawberries take a long time to pick in quantity. I remember once (only once), when I was a kid we got enough for a desert at one meal. Over the years, they have gotten fewer and fewer until now I can't say I've found one in maybe 10 years. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My folks assure me that when they were kids there where huge fields of all varieties of berries just for the taking. (Of course, they had to walk to school. And it was five miles. Uphill both ways. And when they got there, they had to build a fire. With coal that they carried on their back. Up hill. Five miles. Both ways.) I kind of take the berry story with a grain of salt, figuring that the sands of time can make a beach so wide it's difficult to remember the sea. However, it's possible since there have been some minor climactic changes, and there is always Canada, which still seems to have crops of these wild berries. If the growing area has shifted North a bit, the old stories could be true.

Another wild fruit I like is what we always called June Berry (also known as service berry, sarvis berry, Saskatoon blueberry annd sugar plum). These also seem pretty few and far between, however, I did discover a nursery about an hour from here that is selling them as ornamentals.

Steve