Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Block Heater

Re: Engine Block Heater

I've never plugged my Sienna in, but I usually keep the truck plugged in all the time since that darned old Texas 350 doesn't like to start when it's colder than 150 degrees. But I save electricity by having a temp cord on the line. The utility company sold those years ago for small change ... to cut down on electricity use. The temp cord has a temp sensor and will turn off the current when the water temp goes high enough (you ziptie it to the rad hose)
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

This is the only outlet on this circuit as it is outside on my disconnect pole and the truck is the only thing plugged in. The outlet is only about 2 or 3 years old. I guess since it is outside (in an outside box) is supposedly protected, but I guess the actual wire could be corroding a little bit. Is that a possibility?

Is it a GFI outlet or a GFI breaker?
    If it's a breaker type, then an irregularities in the wire will kick it off. It's an outlet type, it doesn't matter much the condition of the wire feeding it.

It is the outlet type. Haven't messed w/ it anymore. Have just left the truck plugged into the one in the shed. I'm wondering if maybe I had snow in one of the holes in the extension cord. Too cold (obviosly that is why I need the heater [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] )right now to be out there messing around w/ it. Supposed to be -5 tonight w/ -15 - -20 wind chill. Too cold for me to be out messing around w/ something when there is a work around for now.

GFI outlets lose some of their sensitivity over time, especially if they have repeatedly been tripped. Keep in mind the GFI outlet has NOTHING to sense an overload, so we "know" that is not the problem. I installed quite a few that were so sensitive, no matter what you plugged in it, it would trip out. And I've seen the ones that would not trip no matter what you plugged into it. I had one on my pool pump that tripped as soon as the motor was plugged in. I tested everything, nothing at all was wrong. It just would not work with that pump. I have been looking for a new pump this winter. Hope that makes it safer.
    For now, I guess just keep it plugged into the shed outlet. Maybe replace the GFI, they're only $6 or so at the box stores.
    But you're right, at -5 there's no sense in doing it tonight.

I had kinda forgotten about this thread until a little while ago and it came up on google. I didn't get around to looking at the problem any more until spring, but then the culprit came out. Nothing would work in the outlet. Couldn't even reset the GFI. I replaced the outlet. Plugged the truck in for the first time since the replacement and it didn't kick the GFI. Now I have another problem.

I told someone, she shall remain nameless [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] , that I had plugged the truck in and ran a cord to the tractor but I didn't plug the tractor in. When I came home last night I started to plug the truck in again. Couldn't find the plug on the truck. Found the extension, but not the truck piece. I asked her if she unplugged the truck. Deer in the headlight look, uhoh, no.

Looked around a little bit for the cord couldn't find it. I figure as she was back it it kept pulling until all of the cord that normally I kept up in the truck was pull clear out front and it finally came unplugged from the ext. cord. Now when she back out of the driveway and started to go forward it probably got back under the tire and jerked the cord out.

Now here is the problem, well other than trying to find the thing down there where GM buried it, but do you guys think it is hurt? What I mean is do you think it'll be OK leaving that in the truck until spring before I replace it? I'm worried that something maybe broken and be loose and allow the antifreeze to come out. How big of deal do you think it'll be to get out?

Always gotta be something to keep it interesting.....

Jim,
    Some of those block heaters have a cord that plugs into the heater itself. They can be removed. What I hope happened when M.......err nameless person backed out, the cord on the heater became unplugged from the ext cord. Then as you suspect the tire rolled over the cord on the heater and pulled it loose. If you're not noticing any drips under the truck and coolant level is not low, you should be ok til spring.

Jerry

I was visiting a buddy that runs a garage on Saturday and he said bring the truck in last night and we would take a look at it. After we crawled under the truck, it wasn't too bad to fix it, I lucked out. GM must have been expecting that to happen. There was a clamp around the wire that kept it from actually pulling on the heater itself at the block. It broke the wire, but it had enough attached that we were able to splice on to it with extension cord I had. Would've said old cord, but it wasn't that old. It was my trouble light cord left from when the dog decided she didn't want heat last year and ate my trouble light. Poor dog, I don't know how many lives she has, but I know that she has used 2 of them...

Jim,
    Glad it was that easy to repair.