Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd repair to 3 year old Maytag washer!

2nd repair to 3 year old Maytag washer!

I have pretty much had it with Maytag. Maybe they used to make good stuff, but this is the final straw. I bought a brand new oven a few years ago that I had to had the hinges replaced every 18 months or so, which wasn't so bad till the warranty ran out. My Maytag fridge has been fixed 3 times in 7 years.

Now, I have to replace the motor on the washer! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] This thing is 3 years old, and the motor is seized! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] When it was 2 years old, the drain hose split and we had a flood! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I examined it, and its obvious it broke because of fatigue! After 2 years? And this was their top of the line machine.

I think I know why the Maytag repairman spends his time sleeping: people junk the garbage.

So, I've decided that if this motor costs me more than $100, I'm scrapping the washing machine. Since Maytag obviously doesn't make quality products anymore, can anybody suggest who does?

Who makes the the best, most reliable appliances, in your experience?

Re: 2nd repair to 3 year old Maytag washer!

Are you sure that the Maytag label isn't pasted on over the GE label? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That is the kind of experience I have had with all my GE appliances (don't have any of them anymore, as far as labels go anyway). I have had fantastic results using Maytag washer/dryer and dishwasher. Now for fridge, micro, stove -- I go with Amana. The Amana microwave I have now is very similar in shape and style to the GE microwaves selling right beside it , so I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other was being mfg by the other, or from the same outsource. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Your experience with Maytag doesn't sound good. Best you buy something different and then hope they are not all like that. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm having real good luck with my Kenmore washer. It is a front loader made by Frigidaire/Electrolux. The machine is very quiet and does a great job. The only problem we have had with it was from one time when my son left several nails in his pocket. One nail made it to the pump and tore up the impeller. So other than replacing the pump, it has done real well for our family of 6.

Brian - Sorry to hear about your problems. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Per Consumers Reports....Maytag has been a lower rated brand.

Kenmore is typically at the upper end. Whirlpool and Kenmore come off the same line. I think Frigidaire also. I'm a Whirlpool/Kenmore buyer.....very pleased. They're made in MI so that helps also. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Chuck

I generally buy Kenmore(Whirlpool) as well. They have always given me good service and I can get parts readily when needed.

<font color="blue"> Since Maytag obviously doesn't make quality products anymore, can anybody suggest who does? </font color>

We've done very well with Kenmore and Whirlpool products....have had these appliances for 10 years or more with no breakdowns.

....Bob

I have had good luck with both Kenmore and Maytag for washers (one of each over the past 17 years).

One thing to look at is *who* actually makes the units (Maytag brand does not necessarily mean Maytag-made).

I just shopped for new appliances for a new home, and the local Maytag supplier (who also has to repair them) steered me away from the Maytag "top of the line" units, which he says are made by Norge and use lots of inferior (plastic) parts under the hood (but they look nice on the outside, with beveled tops, etc). He steered me to a more sedate-looking (and cheaper) Maytag pair that is actually made by Maytag, and he says uses real steel parts, and that he almost never has to repair.

For kitchen appliances, this same supplier prefers GE. YMMV

We had a new maytag washer. First time it filled it ran over. Even on lowest setting. It wasnt 1 hour after it was delivered. First fill up...i flipped. Called the store back...well lets see we can get out there next week...i said cram it! Took the back off and the there is a tube that works off air pressure from the water depth that shuts it down to your depth setting. It was laying there with no clamps or ties to hold it on. I put it on with little clamps and its worked great ever sence. Thats what i call quality control. So remember Buy American and keep the economy rolling [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I think the American work force is slipping and please dont tear me up for that, its just my opinion. Ive seen it in many things i have bought and fixed myself.

I'm hearing a lot about newer Maytag products not quite living up to the reputation of their forbears. My solution was to purchase rebuilt Maytags - Matching washer and dryer from 1978! They are built like tanks and for several years, have been performing great for my family of five. My parents purchased their Maytags in the early '80s and haven't had any problems either. Check in your area for used washer/dryer places and go for clean, well-cared for machines - there are LOTS of them out there. Most come with a limited guarantee of some kind, too.
    It wouldn't be unusual to get a set for $300 or less.

Time will tell if I have to rethink my favorable feelings for Maytag. Washer and dryer, 10 years old and working great. Ovens, 11 years old and I would like to see more even heating. Dishwasher 5 years old, and a LOUD squeal that I need to diagnose. The latest is a Maytag air conditioner. (It was actually manufactured by Fedders.) The heating stopped the second time we used it. Went to the website for service: no service providers in your area. Hey, one of the reasons I bought it was for the 5 year, in-home warranty. Called and got two phone numbers, one company was out of business and the other told me he wasn't driving the 30 miles to service my unit. E-mailed the company, they arranged for a service tech to come out the 225 miles from his business to my barn. Unit is now repaired (my opinion was a faulty original design).

If I were grading them, I'd give a C. Four more years of warranty remaining. I'm hoping for no more problems.