Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd repair to 3 year old Maytag washer!

Re: 2nd repair to 3 year old Maytag washer!

Since this post got resurected, I'll post a follow up. Maytag replaced the motor (I had to pay for labor). Six months later, it stopped working - again - this time I figured it was the control circuits were shot, and these weren't still under warranty.

So I bought a new Whirlpool Front Load washer and dryer, and at least my wife is happy. Time will tell if the reliability is up to snuff. They sure wash good - the clothes come out of the washer 'damp', not wet, so they dry real quick.

A few months after that, my sole remaining Maytag appliance, the fridge, started acting up. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Now its waiting to be recycled, having been replaced by a Kitchen Aid.

The lesson for me is simple. Maytag is overpriced junk. Same or better quality comes out of the store brands or GE. Better quality comes out of the (hopefully real) premium brands like Whirlpool.

Kind of a pity. I guess the company lost its way. In any event, I tell my Maytag story to anybody who'll listen - they'll never sell me another thing.

Brian, my daughter's Maytag dryer quit heating. I looked and sure enough, the heating element was burned in two. Maytag recommends replacing a couple of thermostats when you replace the heating element, so I went and bought the new parts and put them in. And the instant I turned the dryer on, it kicked the breaker in the house. I was never able to figure out why myself, but thought I'd put it in the pickup and take it to the shop to be fixed. Wrong again. Maytag has no place I could take it to be fixed; only on-site service with a high priced service call whether they could fix it or not. Not sure how old it was, but several years anyway. So it went in the Waste Management truck and she bought a new Kenmore.

No wonder the Maytag repairman is so lonely!!!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!