Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens

Chickens

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and slowly turning some barren ground into a hobby farm. My chicken coop is almost ready. I hope to raise pullets for eggs and capons for meat, but am wondering the best way to dispose of unused chicken parts ... parts we don't eat. I'd appreciate knowing how you handle it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Chickens

That's becoming a problem all over. I butcher 60 chickens every fall, and disposing of the offal is something of a challenge. I used to bury it, and still would but the wife objects, afraid animals will come and dig it up. (I've never seen any signs of it, I bury it 4-5 feet deep with a backhoe).

In the interest of peace in the family, our current method is to butcher in batches of 10 or so on the day before curbside pickup, and double-bag the waste and put it in with the garbage. I don't think that's gonna fly much longer, but as long as it does, we'll do it.

I also have sheep butchered every fall. I don't do it myself because I don't have a cooler to hang them in, but a secondary consideration is getting rid of the offal. I asked my butcher what he does with his, and he has to pay to have it hauled off by a licensed disposal facility who either composts it or incinerates it. He also told me what he does with it when the facility is unable for some reason to pick it up, but I don't think the EPA would be too thrilled with that method.

So, in summary, based on my experience, you have four choices:

1. Bury it.
    2. Pay to have it hauled off, if you can find someone
    3. Include it with your regular trash pickup
    4. Compost it on site.

There are some references to composting animal residue on the web. Done properly, it's not particularly offensive from an odor and flies standpoint.

Get a pig. bcs

Throw the waste in the trash or compost it. Your local extension office should have info on composting techniques. Or you can contact ATTRA at 1 800 346 9140 for information.

If I have butchered several birds I bury it with the backhoe like Paul suggested. For just a few I add them to the garbage and haul it to the transfer station. Another alternative I've used (I believe in multitasking) is to toss them on top of a burn pile and cremate the remains.

Pete

<font color="blue"> Another alternative I've used (I believe in multitasking) is to toss them on top of a burn pile and cremate the remains. </font color>

Do you have to hold a service when you do that??? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yep. Hogs love chicken scraps. They will eat everything except the feet and the beak! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Chris

Thanks for your help. I'll probably start with the easiest method, and butcher right before hauling day. It'll be easier to bury or burn when the farm is further along. Is there any reason not to add chicken feathers to the garden compost heap? Right now I can't get enough compost.

Feathers will compost nicely, just make sure you get them in thin layers and not all piled together.

...and also make sure you don't have any scavengers that will rip your composter apart looking for the rest of the chicken! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete