Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chickens

Re: Chickens

Like with long floppy ears and long red hair? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My dogs are pretty good about that sort of thing. Amazing what a well-trained dog will do for praise! But I can still remember how well Tetley, my golden gun dog, trained the hens to lay inside the coop instead of dropping eggs all over the field...

Tetley loves to retrieve things. Before the hens were coop trained he would find an egg in the field and carry it around for hours. Never ate them, would just show up with a brown egg protruding between his fangs, wag at me when I got home, and gently put the egg at my feet. But then he discovered where the eggs were coming from!

After that, when spotting a hen getting ready to lay, he's crawl up behind her, reach that long neck forward and ZAP her in the butt with that big pink tongue trying to suck the egg right out of her! The image of that 108# dog sneaking up behind some poor, unsuspecting hen brought tears to my eyes I'd laugh so hard! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And the hens have used the nesting boxes inside the coop ever since!

Pete

<font color="blue"> The image of that 108# dog sneaking up behind some poor, unsuspecting hen... </font color>

ROTFLMAO!!! Now that technique qualifies as persuasive!