Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Tile Installation

Wall Tile Installation

Some of the tile we want to use as a back-splash are the little 1" x 1" (maybe they're half inch square) that have a plastic netting on one side to hold them in a 6" x 18" rectangle.

I assume, they get applied with the net facing out, then once the mastic dries, the netting gets removed? True?

Another assumption that might need correction [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The mastic, which looks like spackling compound, has enough stickiness to hold these little tiles as well as the other 6" x 6" tiles to the wall until it dries? Or do I have to rig up some way to keep the tiles in place while the mastic dries? BTW, the trowel that was recommended has eighth inch notches.

Re: Wall Tile Installation

Mike, I've not done wall tile but I laid some mesh-backed mosaics on our powder room floor. In my case, the mesh was on the back side and stays with the floor forever encased in mortar. Take a look at your tile, it should be pretty obvious which is the face side.

The mastic should hold the tiles pretty well on it's own. I put up 12 inch squares around our fireplace and they didn't move a bit once I bedded them in. I used spacers just in case anyway.

Have fun [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

All of the tile I've ever used has had the mesh on the back. Your mastic should hold the tile in position when you put it up.

Thanks, Rob and Andy. I should be getting to this project sometime this week and appreciate the help. The drywall (half inch) and Hardibacker (quarter inch) are up and the joints taped (special fiberglass mesh tape for tile). I used the mastic as joint compund. All I have to do is sand the joints smooth and I will be ready to put the tile up.

The plastic netting is on the backside and should not be removed.

Secondly, under no circumstance ever use mastic. Why that stuff is made is beyond me. Go get some good modified thinset.

Mastic takes weeks if not months to dry and should not be anywhere where water could ever be present. If you don't believe me get some and set it out for it to dry. Once dry add some water and see what you get. Then try this with thinset.

The problem is that mastic dries while thinset cures.

The mesh stays on the back. I wouldn't use mastic either, there are some polymer modified mortars that work real good for wall tile. Just be sure to clean all your tools immediately after use because the stuff will set up even in standing water and is hard to remove once set.

Steve

Jerry and Steve - Thanks for the tip to use thinset instead of mastic!

Will there be an issue since I used the mastic to smooth the joints and cover the screw heads?

Mike,

Things must differ in different parts of the country because we use mastic all the time down here. I have used it on wall applications, both wet and dry, with out any problems. The pro tile guys I see on job sites also are using it for their residential work. May be I have just been using a better quality mastic. I would check the specs on the mastic and see if it is recommended for your application. I am sure the tile manufacture would also have recommendations.

MarkV

Mark, good idea. I will check the specs.

Mastic is mastic. Its not worth the risk. I have also seen "pros" use it but if you look at the requirements set out by the tile council of america you will not see mastic listed as an approved product for tile.

Mastic is used because its easy and cheap to use. Don't do it!!!! Not even for smoothing out the joints and nail holes.

To smooth out the joints use fiber tape made specifically for thinset (wallboard fiber tape will not hold up). And for smoothing out nail/screw holes use thinset.