Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone built a pole house?

Re: Has anyone built a pole house?

Actually considering building a "true" pole house....where the poles are integral to the structure. The treated poles are located so they are exposed to the exterior but covered by the interior finish. The floor is up off the ground by a couple of feet, so will definately need to be insulated. Otherwise a fairly straightforward square floorplan with cantilevered hip roof....the corner roof joists tag into the poles. Understand the benefits to concrete, including thermal mass, hydronic heat and all that, just reluctant to spend as much money as it will take to get our roads and access "concrete truck friendly", so we're exploring alternatives.

I bought a book several years ago on pole building construction. Surprisingly, a good bit of the book is devoted to houses, not barns. Here it is on Amazon. There are several other books available that talk about pole house construction. Good luck [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

You may still need to pour a rat wall around the perimeter. I had to on my pole barn and that's will a full slab.

Steve

I would get the round forms and pour concrete footings,at least every other pole.If you do put your floor very close to the ground, 2 1/2" or 3" styrafoam between your floor joist will give good insulation and help with moisture.One way to cut down on feild mice is to flashing your house at the bottom.use the roll type alluminum and burry it 10".I think it comes in 2' and 3' rolls.

Rob,

You'd be surprised how many pole houses there are out there. They actually allow for quite a bit of interior flexibility.

Steve

as far as concrete pumping trucks, i checked back when we poured my slab, and they were only about 250-300 bucks a day.....just something to think about, definately not a deal killer if you can get within a 150 ft or so....

Here is an image I think.

I think they socked me about $500.00 extra for the pump truck on my job, but that was 4 poured walls, 3 of which were 12 feet tall. And, the charge was from the contractors, not the cement provider, so it may have included a bit of profit.

Steve

Yes I have.

I am still putting the finishing touches on my house, but it is structureally done.

The house is build from 10x10 beams that I had cut. Each going into the ground 4'. They are visible from the inside.

The floor was covered in sand and then brick, this was then followed with several thick coatings of polyurithane.

You can see pictures of it at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rw86347

Nice looking project. What kind of wood did you have your posts and beams cut from? Did you have them dried before beginning construction?