Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, I started feeling guilty

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Well, I started feeling guilty

Pete, we recently got two barn cats, because our barn is infested with mice, and I've seen some rats, too. The kittens have just started killing some mice. If they wipe out our mouse problem, I don't care where they poop!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

By the way, we've had them for a few months now, and I have not found any poop. They're hiding it pretty well!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I guess I just got some "lemon" cats! Life could be bliss if I'd have gotten some other ones. Just my luck I guess.

Danny,
    I've been trying to "train" the 2 that I have here. They are indoor cats, so I have a little more control than you do I suppose. But one day you'll realize as I have..........my cats "allow" me to live here, they need me for their food. Other than that.........they're so independent. I love 'em to death though......and one day they'll hopefully accept the dog I brought into "their" house.

Mosey, you are probably not ever gonna get the cats to go just where you want them to go. Cats are independant by nature. And those commercial repellants are not worth buying, as they don't work. The only thing I've been able to find that will keep the cats from pooping in my flower beds is cheap black pepper. Get the cheapest, coarsest ground black pepper you can find and sprinkle liberally where you DON'T want them to go. A couple of times of sniffing this stuff and they will get in the habit of going someplace else even when the pepper is gone. Good luck!

Maggie - "cheapest, coarsest ground black pepper you can find and sprinkle liberally where you DON'T want them to go"

I will certainly give it a try! Thanks!

Set a cat litter tray by the trees...wherever they like to do their stuff at etc...and see if the will use the litter tray.....

Steel_Wheels - Thanks, but we've already tried that. We had the litter box about 30 feet from the house, under a tree. The problem was the smell. It's very humid here in Indiana, so the kitty litter stayed damp, even though it didn't get rained on (and of course it got soaked when it rained), and it just didn't absorb the smell. We'd have to clean it out every day, which is not an option, we have better things to do than clean up after a cat all the time. That's why I wanted to get it farther from the house. My neighbor had an outdoor cat (that died of old age last year) and he said she never had a problem with going that from the house.

Danny,

This just goes to prove that while dogs have masters, cats have staff [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

Yes, cats are untrainable and it's because they are just plain stupid!

That is the truth!!! I have done everything short of shooting our cats for getting into the garage. Just about everytime we open the garage door up the two cats run inside. Never mind that they've paid the price a 100x they still keep doing it. The dog it took one time of trying that and he won't even go near the garage door now when it comes up. But those stupid cats will do it every time. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

We're having the same problem with them getting into our garage. For a while it was no problem, we let them in because they just slept on an old rag or something. But, about a month ago they started jumping up on the bench or Jeep, then up to the rafters. They knocked stuff over, wouldn't come down when called, and hid up there. So, now we have to keep the garage door shut all the time, which is going to be a pain in the summer. That, combined with the rest of the trouble they cause, such as having to keep the flowerbeds around the house covered with mothballs, netting, chicken wire, or whatever - it's slowly but surely coming down the inevitable: the cats have to go!