Thread: Super Bowl Time = B-wings

Super Bowl Time = B-wings

I can't remember not having Buffalo wings during a super bowl game when I wasn't on the road. However it was always prepared by someone else.

Well yesterday I went out and bought a small 8qt deep fryer/steamer and today I made my first batch of real B-wings using recipes from here. The only change I did was covering the wings with corn starch mixture.
    6 Tbs of corn starch
    2 tsp of salt
    2 tsp of fresh ground pepper

Deep fried for 10 mins then in a big bowl, coated them in a mixture of Franks and real butter and baked them for 20 mins.

Guys/gals too, I'm here to say that I was in pure unadultriated heaven. I have eaten Franks hot sauce before at other eating establishments and never knew what I was eating until now, I recognize the taste I have been seeking.

Thank You people [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

However I was't totally satified in the texture of the wings... Do some of you make some type of egg batter or is it best not to coat them at all ?

One more thing, the Franks mixture was great, but would be concidered mild, how much Tabasco Sauce would I add to just add just a little zing or is there anything else I could use ..?
    It just seems that the sauce is lacking something and I'm not sure... I guess I wouldn't mind if they were just a tad bit hotter. What do you folks suggest ?

On this note, I hope B-wings aren't too fattening as I plan to be eating a lot of them for a while anyhow.. Can anyone say left overs ? LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The other Andy [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Super Bowl Time = B-wings

Hey handyman. I boil my wings first. That taks most of the fat out. My wife then saves the broth for soup and other recipes. Then I deep fry them untill crispy. I have never liked the coating some places put on them.
    If you want them hotter dont add as much butter. Also dont bake them. When you do that you lose alot of the liquied from evaporation. This changes the flavor.
    As for the tabasco one small bottel to one quart of sauce would be a good place to start.
    TOOLS

I use sauce from a guy who is from western New York is now near DC.
    His sauce wins or places in almost every contest he enters. It's very inexpensive too, and it's mailed direct. He has three levels of heat.
    wyswings.com
    1-800-WYS-Wings

Hey Y'all,

Couldn't help but notice the discussion here. My favorite food for 20+ years now is wings. I wanted to comment on some of the replies. In order to cook the fat out, you don't need to par-boil or precook them if you are deep frying them. Deep frying them, contrary to popular belief, will take out more fat than boiling does. You can see it pop right out of the skin. Now if you need the "chicken water" for soup or such, that's another story. But deep frying will cook out most of the fat. You'll never have a wing minus all the fat no matter what you do short of skinning it before cooking.

As to coatings/breadings, traditional Buffalo Wings are not at all breaded and most folks up there in Buffalo gag at the thought of breaded wings. The key to the best wings is the sauce. In fact, a very good sauce will overcome some shortcomings in cooking although well-cooked wings w/ the best sauce is preferred.

If you are tremendously concerned about the fat, then try "boneless wings". They aren't really wings, they're chicken breast meat cut up into wing-sized pieces. For those you don't bread them per se, but they do need a light dusting of flour in order for them to be able to "hold the sauce". Otherwise being skinless and slick, any sauce applied would slide right off.

To do this, simply flip-flop the boneless wing/nugget in some plain white flour before frying. It's better to let them sit for 15+ minutes after the dusting of flour, otherwise much of the flour falls off in the fryer.

If you deep fry, make daggoned sure that the temp of the oil is between 375 and 400. Never hotter as it breaks down and becomes less healthy. Never less than 375 or your food comes out greasy. Good hot oil, 100% soybean oil (vegetable oil in most cases) is good to use, will make foods crispy and cook better. It sears in from the outside and keeps the wings juicy while crisping up the outside.

Hope that helps.