Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freezers - Upright or Chest?

Re: Freezers - Upright or Chest?

HERBENUS, I certainly agree that a full chest type freezer is a little harder to rummage than a full upright but not by a large margin. Like the grocer's chest style freezers (with no lids at all) a chest style freezer will lose refrigeration so much slower than an upright that rummaging 10 times as long would probably not lose as much cold as the upright unless you have a terrific draft blowing across or into the chest. Note: you don't see upright freezers without doors.

Still, there are perfectly good reasons for uprights that might outweigh all energy cost/efficiency considerations that favor the chests. Footprint certainly is a consideration. If there just isn't a convenient space for a chest but you need/want a freezer, then there you are.

I recently saw a frige with a decent size freezer. It looked pretty interesting. The frige part had equal sized doors (like french doors) on top and a pull out freezer drawer, a mini-chest type freezer if you will, in the bottom.

Of greater importance is what you put in the freezer. Fish that you caught, game that you harvested, beef, poultry, etc that you raised, vegies from your garden, berries and fruit and so on. Hopefully not a bunch of plastic food comprised of sat and trans fat, and prefab factory built pseudo-food the majority of the cost of which TV advertising.

Best to you,

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The chest type freezer holds the cold air better obviously, like the other guys said. My wife is 4'11" and we gave away our chest freezer and got an upright, because she just couldn't get to the stuff in the chest.

I like the upright better myself, because you can get to stuff. I haven't noticed the upright using a lot of electicity, but its bound to use some more.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Also, I've noticed from watching tv that it looks easier to put a dead body in a chest type freezer than an upright. But I have no personal experience with this.

The body would sure fall into a chest type easier but the upright has the advantage of removal. The body just seems to step right out of the upright.

Egon

<font color="blue"> I haven't noticed the upright using a lot of electricity, but its bound to use some more. </font color>

How much more appears largely dependent on how often the freezer is opened, and how long it is kept open.

Steve

I think the problem would be the body would keep opening the door because of the weight against it. But I guess you could tie a rope around the door, another option is to cut into small pieces, less pressure against the door [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now I wounder how Tony Soprano would solve this problem [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If we reduce it to small pieces then a chest style would be just as convienient.
    Think of the Halloween possibilities of the upright model at trick or treat time.

Egon

I think I'll stick with animal body parts in my freezer! We've used both and all the points already presented here about sum it up. One other thing not mentioned unless I missed it - it is easier to defrost and clean the upright because you can do it while remaining upright! It's hard to clean a chest type without becoming the body in it!

Terry

<font color="purple"> If we reduce it to small pieces then a chest style would be just as convienient </font color>

We actually have a chest freezer dedicated to human body parts (training aids for our police K-9 who is certified in cadaver detection). [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Most of the "aids" are saturated dirt from homicide scenes, but there are some legally-acquired "parts" in there as well.

That's serious stuff. No humour there.

Egon