Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well Pump Running Too Much

Re: Well Pump Running Too Much

Fellow CBNers, thank you for all the suggestions! I'll try adding air first, and if that doesn't take care of it, at least I now have some ideas.

If the pump runs when no one is using the water, there's a leak somewhere.

If the pump runs only when you're using the water, it's most likely because of a ruptured bladder.

I think the leaky bladder must be the culprit, if you have a bladder tank at all. I don't. I have one of the old-timey galvanized tanks so that my water will make contact with air, thus releasing gases such as hydrogen sulfide.

After a few weeks, the air dissolves into the water, so more and more of the tank is water and not air. Water does not compress like air does, so the amount of water between high pressure and low pressure is less. They call this water-logging, and can cause you pump to come on as soon as any water is turned on. Its like having a REAL small pressure tank. Such cycling is bad on the pump.

Most such setups are rigged where the process of pumping water back into the tank builds up the pressure in the tank and so its not a problem. Mine is not set up that way, so I actually have to add air to the tank ever few weeks. No big deal, but some people would probably get tired of it. The solution I'm told is to add a bladder tank, but I'm OK for now.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Thanks. We have one of the galvanized tanks, too, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the bladder. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll add air when we get out there this weekend.

Just an add-on to the leaking pipe bits. If you have a leaking foot-valve or a leak in the supply pipe to the pressure tank you can jury rig it. Just insert a check valve before the pressure tank. As long as the pump is -below- the well water level it will operate just fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Of course if the pipe leak is in a a spot -other than in the well- you would be putting water where you don't want it. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Harry, baling wire rules, K

Remember, adding the air is 'not obvious'. For a couple of years I was just 'adding air' without giving someplace for the water to go. I think the proper sequence is:
    1) Shut off the pump
    2) Open an upstairs faucet
    3) Fill the tank to the air valve (no more bubbles) which forces water out of the tank
    4) Close the upstairs faucet, and preferably shut off the valve from the tank to the house
    5) presurize to the recommended setting.
    6) reopen the valve and turn the pump back on.

All the time, you can be cursing youself and saying you should put in a bladder tank.

I also have a cool pressure switch that figures out if, for example, the well is dry. If presure goes below a certain point, you have to reset the switch manually. So, after a power failure, if people use water, the switch has to be reset.

20 times I've explained this to my wife, I still have to do it myself.