Thread: Another Filter Question

Another Filter Question

Here's what I've been looking at:
    Farmtek
    I will have a 1" line from the well pressure tank to the house connecting to a 3/4" copper house line. What I wanted to do was to install two of the WR2515 sediment filters (10gpm each, 3/4" inlet/outlet) in parallel just before the house connection. I was using the 10" filters instead of 20" filters because it was easier to install them right by the house connection.
    My other choice was to use a single WR2500 Jumbo filter (25 gpm, 1 1/2" inlet/outlet) By the time I bought 2 of the other filters and the related parts, the net overall cost would be fairly close.

What I'm wondering is that if the 10 gpm flow will be a problem for the average 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath home - that was one reason I was going to use two of these filters instead of one. I did not want to install a big restriction in the system. Thanks for your help.
    Nick

Re: Another Filter Question

chevdog

You're planning to do pretty much exactly what I did. I used a pair of OmniFilter U25 10" filter bodies in parallel between the pressure tank and the water softener. I use RS-1 Rust/Sediment filters in each one.

I used the two in parallel because, like you, I didn't want to introduce a flow restriction into the system. I reasoned that 10 GPM is plenty of flow for normal in-home devices since most of them are low-flow these days anyway.

By the way, I tapped off before the filters to run my outside faucets for garden hoses, etc. No reason to filter water that's going to go right back into the garden.

WVBill

Thanks Bill,

Wish I could branch off for the hose bibs, but the house is already plumbed up. Hard to believe that the shop/barn is done and the house will be ready next month.

I appreciate the help - I also had a full bath in the shop along with hand sinks at the workbench so I was going to do the same filter setup there too.

I was going to make a manifold at the outlet of the pressure tank so I could branch off for house, shop, plus a couple more for later. Each branch would have a valve, plus the main cutoff between tank and manifold.
    Nick

Mine was plumbed too but I have an unfinished basement so it was easy to run a new/separate line for the outside hose bibs. There were only two originally. One I left plumbed into the filtered/softened line but the other was easy to re-route. I took the opportunity to add a couple of new bibs while I was at it.

WVBill