Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fonz method of fixing a furnace

The Fonz method of fixing a furnace

The furnace quit on Friday night around 2pm (it was 15 degrees F outside!). My wife and I both noticed it was getting cold in the house. The burners would light (it has a glow plug that lights the burners), but then go right back off again within a couple seconds. It would do this again after about 10 seconds. It tried that 3 times, then gave up for a while. I tried turning the power off and back on to reset it, but that didn't help. So, I took the panels off and hit the regulator with my fist (not real hard, but firm tap). It's been working a perfect ever since! So, what worked for the Fonz on a Juke box, also worked on my furnace.

Re: The Fonz method of fixing a furnace

I wish that would work on my still frozen pipes. I burned my hand on a heat gun trying to warm them up! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

hazmat - If you have room to get one in the right area, a kerosene turbo heater (torpedo heater) works good for heating up frozen pipes.

Be careful with this. I do this on occasion with no problems but a duplex in my area burned down while the owner was thawing pipes with a torpedo heater. Watch what the heater is pointed at.

FYI, the propane ones don't stink as bad.

Do you burn fuel oil or kerosene? If so your nozzle may need changing. I do it each year weather it needs it or not. And it needs it. You probably knocked some of the Shtuff [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] off the tip and it could spray fuel again. If your lucky, because its a simple fix. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I keep a nozzle on hand...cause ya never know [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Larry

Reminds me of an article in our local newspaper this past weekend. Seems a couple's house burned down. The article said that the cause of the fire was under investigation and went on to quote the husband as saying "I don't know what happened, all of a sudden there was smoke filling the house and we just ran out." The wife was quoted as saying: "Well, Rodney had just finished thawing out the pipes and we were sitting there watching the news when the smoke started." [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I get this picture in my mind of Rodney puling his wife aside and saying: "Eunice, would you shut it!" [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

WVBill

lblair - It's propane.

Scratch that then [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

This reminds me of a story... We bought a rental a few years ago that a now divorced couple had started to remodel. While we were undoing most of the weirdness, (story for another day) I noticed the door to the furnace would work a little lose and the air handler would shut off as the safety switch kicked in. I had to restart it a couple of times during the reremodeling by snapping the door back in. Fast forward a few months. Tenant calls up and said the A/C quit. I go over and see about it. Tenant follows me down the hall to the furnace closet. I open the closet door and give the furnace a kick, not hard but firm. The unit whirred to life. She was stunned... Then I let the secret loose and told her how to snap the door on. Didn't want her whailing away on the furance for the possible next time it stopped. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hazmat two years ago i froze a pipe went too rental place in plaistow nh picked up a pipe thawer kit it had two jumper cable attached to elct. box plugged into outlet put jumper cables at diffrent ends of pipe worked great no break
    check this out http://www.freezonerb276.com/Thawers.htm
    EDT