Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spaying

spaying

well the puppy went in for spaying today.

has anyone ever had any problems with this procedure? my girlfriend had to stay with her dog for a week because of complications. none of my other dogs seemed to have a proble with it.

thanx guys

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: spaying

Complications are possible with any surgery. However complications with spaying are VERY rare. I've had several dogs spayed and never had a problem.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Only problem I've ever known about was a friend's Great Dane that licked the stitches out. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Steve

was that with the old type of sticthes that have to be removed or the new disolving type?

This was about 10 years ago. I don't really know which type of stitches it was. I do recall they had to take the dog back to the vet, and got one of those big white cone shaped collars put around her neck. I remember the stitches weren't in for very long, either. Maybe no more than 2 days.

This particular vet had handled all their dogs and had done this proceedure for them before on other Danes and there were no problems. I suspect it was just the dog. She always was a pistol.

Steve

We've had over a hundred dogs spayed or neutered and had problems only once with a bitch who was allergic to the anesthetic used. In fact, with abused dogs, the cuddling that takes place post-operatively is often the first time they've known human kindness...and it becomes an important bonding step in their rehabilitation.

With young dogs the problem is usually trying to keep them calm and out of the mud or water till the stitches come out. By the second day they want to play!

Pete (Ragtag Golden Retriever Rescue)

<font color="blue"> With young dogs the problem is usually trying to keep them calm and out of the mud or water till the stitches come out. By the second day they want to play!
    </font color>

My lab went in for nuetering, wimpered the entire ride home (I think he either knew what we did to him, or was groggy from the anesthesia). Vet's instuctions, take it easy &amp; no swimming. Next day he is running around &amp; jumps in the pool [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Had to walk him on a leash to slow him down.
    Hazmat

well shes back! and you woulndt know she has just been in for a major operation. i have never seen such a small scar from this operation...its only about the length of a small pinky right at the belly button.

the vet told us to keep her on leash walks for the next 2 days as to not rip a stich and to look at the stiches at least twice a day to check for problems, but that it!

and the price was right too...free! cause we adopted her. this is great...

Great! No amount of reassurance can eliminate all your anxiety when your own pet is involved, but I'm really gladdened by the relief in your post! Give her a hug for us!

Pete

sure thing!

here is a pictue of her lounging with her new sister the way all post operitave beds should be!
    penni is on the right...she is the patient