Thread: Saguaro sunrise

Saguaro sunrise

Sunrise over the AZ desert; pretty in its own way, but way different than an East coast sunrise.

These monsters are at least 25-30 ft tall, and well over 100 years old

Re: Saguaro sunrise

That is pretty Hank, but sure is different than the landscape I'm used to. I haven't been to the SouthWest since I was a kid. I'll have to plan a trip there to see it all again [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

My sister-inlaw lives in Phoenix, brings back the memories of the drive out there. It is pretty in its own way.

Totally different view up around Flag and Sedona. Sedona was really pretty, only place I've seen rocks as red as our Oklahoma dirt. (not that I have been very many places).

Weather is sure nice Southern AZ this time of year, looking at the national weather map looks like it has been in the mid seventies lately.

Gary

Yor picture really made my day. I grew up down near 11-mile corner and that photo sure made me homesick - especially after looking a all this snow in upstate NY!

Nice photo. Has there been as much cactus rustling recently as in years past?

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I just got here, and haven't heard of any rustling prominently in the news. One high school girl in the valley was killed when she ran into one and it fell on her car.

The Saguaro's are pretty tightly restricted, as a state resource. They can be moved, but you're only allowed to take them from your own property (you can sell that one to someone else). And before you move them, you apply and get a little tag that the cactus wears forever.

And, they're not cheap...for 10-12ft high, with arms, they start at $1200.

Just saw an article in the Sierra Vista newspaper about a guy who had a golden barrel cactus swiped right from his front yard. Gone in 60 seconds -- More like 15 seconds!

It looks warm! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

Having traveled the American southwest and Baja Caligornia for decades I have always been an admirer of the Sonoran Desert and its Saguaro cacti. A few years ago there was a Reader's Digest writeup on cactus rustling. You'd be surprised to know the intensity of it, people recycling the tags, counterfeiting them and so forth.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Given the price of one from a legitimate source, I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised that there's a black market. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]