Thread: Static

Static

I have a new home that I just finished building. It seems with the dry winter air I have a lot of excessive static in the air.

I am running a humidifier @ about 2 gals every 24 hrs. I realize that carpeting works wonders in creating static, but its more excessive than the normal zap you get walking on it. I can be standing still and move 1 foot 6" and create enough static to get zapped. Sigh (good thing I don't have a pacemaker). [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Now what really concerns me is the other day I turned on the TV and for about 10 seconds you could hear the static discharge in the picture tube. It was the darnest thing I've ever seen. It hasn't happened since. One last thing, I can feel the static charge sometimes when I'm in bed. I realize I have a magnetic personality, but this is going too far. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I have a 12 seer heat pump that really work awsum even in the single digit temps.

Is there something I can plug into like a Ion discharge or something that can discharge the static in the air ?

Re: Static

First thing I'd do is get an accurate hygrometer and measure the humidity in the house. Check it in each room. As you know, low humidity is by far the biggest contributor to static.

I don't really know how many gallons per day of water it should take to maintain good humidity. 2 gallons may be high, low or right on.

If your humidifier is a room humidifier and not a whole house humidifier on your furnace, your could be adequately humidifying the room it's in and not the rest of the house.

It is possible to get anti-static spray for your carpets - though many carpeting manufacturers incorporate that into the manufacturing process. Check with your carpet company.

Finally - stop wearing hard rubber soled slippers and polyester pants! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Finally - stop wearing hard rubber soled slippers and polyester pants!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who wears pants ??? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's a room humidifier I was speaking of, but its setup about 6' from the return air to circulate through out the house which I have been filling it up twice every 24 hrs.

Just a note, I'll be removing the carpet in the livingroom since I just bought a complete livingroom set that really looks good with the hardwood floor and not so swift with this 9x15 reminent I just threw down until I figured out what to do with it.

You wouldn't happen to need a 9x15' piece of Shaw 68 oz Nimbus color (Silverish light tan) carpet and 8 lb padding.. do you ? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

First problem, is that you're trying to humidify a house with a room unit. They're made to put out so much and no more. Either get a unit for each room, or better yet, get a unit installed in your heating system. If you can, get one with a humidistat. Kinda like a thermostat, but for humidity. You want a humidity level of between 30 and 50 percent in the winter, and between 40 and 50 in the summer. Most people find that a too high setting in the winter makes it seem too cold.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>