Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd 57 Dodge p/u arrived

2nd 57 Dodge p/u arrived

She's a beauty, but I've never owned a vehicle that hasn't moved in over five years. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] The truck was started and run monthly, but never driven so the brakes and tranny, etc, never saw action. Here's my list of things to check. For you old car fans, what did I miss?

Rebuild/replace brake master cylinder
    Rebuild/replace wheel brake cylinders
    Inspect and flush/replace brake lines
    Drain and flush fuel tank (replace?)
    Flush fuel system
    Inspect/replace hoses
    Drain and flush coolant, replace
    Replace plugs, points, condensor, and rotor
    Replace distributor cap?
    Replace spark plug wires?
    Oil and filter change (pull oil pan?)
    Change transmission fluid
    Fix leak in differential and change gear oil
    Lube job
    Replace battery
    Inspect/replace generator belt (change to alternator?)
    Replace 16 inch wheel with spare (get from home)
    Inspect suspension
    Inspect steering and change oil in box
    Inspect/replace bulbs

Re: 2nd 57 Dodge p/u arrived

Real nice! I was going to ask you how the projects were going.
    Paul Bradway

Now those are real trucks/pickups....the kind I remember as a child.....

That's a real beaut Pete! Are you going for a resto, or just making it driveable? Looks pretty clean and straight from the photo [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thats a preatty good list you got there. Only thing I would add, is to keep your eyes open. When you are doing, or checking something, look around the aera to see if anything near by is loose, or broken. That way you covr almost all the truck. Have fun, looks like a nice project. An old race car trick, is to put a wrench on every nut, and bolt. I don't know if you need to do that, but just keep an eye open. Checking front breaks, look at the kingpins. Fixing the rear dif leak, make sure the springs, shocks, and driveshaft are good.
    Paul Bradway

Just looking to make this one a daily driver (well, when the ground is free of snow!). The other 57 with the flathead six will probably be a restoration.

Pete

Well keep us up to date with pics on your progress. Something I'd love to do someday, but currently battling a serious lack of time. Have fun with it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Some more specifics Pete...

Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water which then corrodes all the parts from the inside. If your system is still sealed up reasonably well it won't be a problem, but watch when you dump the fluid. If it's really nasty you may need to pay more attention to the various brake components (master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers (probably 4 wheel drum, right?). The brake lines themselves will rot out from the inside if moisture gets in there. Cheap insurance to replace them anyway.

A '57 probably has a single circuit brake system which hasn't been used since about then. Nowadays, a dual system is mandated for safety. You could pretty easily upgrade to a front/rear split master cylinder and have a dual system. Again, cheap insurance particularly for an older vehicle.

One final thing to remember: As you drain the brake fluid keep in mind it makes a great paint stripper. Don't let it get on anything you intend to keep painted [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Rob -- Thanks! I was planning on rebuilding all cylinders (master and wheel), plus replacing all brake lines because of my experience trying to cheap my way thru the brake job on my first 57. Didn't work, and cost me a lot of time and aggravation! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The first time I bled the brakes this black lumpy stuff came out...probably the rotten rubber you mentioned.

I'll look into a split master. We kept it stock on the first truck thinking that would add to its value, but old Dodges were never that popular in the first place, and the value would be seriously diminished by an accident. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

The other thing I really don't like about these old trucks is the incredibly low gearing. I have the rear end of an old Dodge Dart that has exactly the same dimensions, but larger brake pads and more easily found parts. I'm seriously thinking about swapping them out, though in a truck the rear is not where I need my best brakes. Of course, in time I'd like to put the front end of a Dodge Aspen in the truck to give me disks along with the independent front suspension. But that's a project for another year.

Thanks again, Pete

Pete:
    If it's a driver and not restoration have you considered mounting the body on a newer truck frame that has more up to date goodies. This is sorta like swapping out components but could leave you with a better base to work from.

In any case after several years have passed you'll probably be in full restoration mode as you have taken the bait. Namely three old trucks to work on. That old hemi may be in shape to surprise a few folks.

Egon