Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor auto-drains

Air compressor auto-drains

Does anybody have experience with with air compressor auto-drains? It looks like they come in at least 3 styles - float valve, electric timer and electronic time. I would think that it is a good idea to avoid the float valve system (I don't have heat in the shop yet).

A neighbor recommended Grainger, but it doesn't look like I can buy from them since I don't have a company. I also found AirHoseSupply , but I haven't ever heard of them.

Re: Air compressor auto-drains

<font color="blue"> neighbor recommended Grainger, but it doesn't look like I can buy from them since I don't have a company</font color>

Make one up. They won't care so long as you've got a valid credit card.

I order stuff for work on my mastercard &amp; ship it to my house all the time because our receiving dept takes 2 days to get the stuff to my desk.
    Hazmat

Do you order by phone or on the web? I didn't look very hard, but it looked like they wanted a tax ID to prove that you were a company.

Have you checked Mcmaster-Carr yet? They probably stock at least one. Anyone can order from them. Grainger doesn't care about the business thing too much. I've ordered things and had them shipped to their store here. I did pay with a company check though...

Harbor Freight has one for around $10 that works pretty good. The only problem I've had is the plastic tubing they supplied is too soft and melts at the "T" fitting where it connects on the pressure relief valve/line

I can't help you on the auto drain but I removed the drain valve from the bottom of my 60 gal. IR &amp; replaced with an elbow &amp; a short piece of pipe &amp; put a ball valve on the end. That seemed to be more convenient then reaching under the tank to drain it. It also reminds me to drain it more often. Unless you use your compressor an awful lot there really won't be that much moisture in it. Also I just bought a bathroom heater motor from Grainger. Ordered it by phone &amp; when the fellow asked me what my company name was I told him it wasn't for a company. He said OK &amp; took my info. Got it in a couple days.

I did the same as you, but instead of a ball valve, I put an air nozzle blower thingy on it. I assembled it so the end sticks out just far enough to get my toe on the lever. When I'm done, and put the hose away, I just touch my to lightly on the blower lever.

My Dentist does it that way. His compressor went out, and I happened to see the new one being installed. He drains it daily, and has never had a tank problem sisnce I started seeing him(1975).

I think I'll try that this weekend - I have a spare nozzle that should work fine.

Robert......that is a teriffic idea! There is nothing so neglected as the draining of compressors, and it's mainly because it is never made real convenient. Your setup would be the berries! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I was a little concerned at first, that one of the little nozzles would hold up over time, and an occassional too heavy of a toe. It's been there about 3 years now.

It was cheap too. After taking the original drain out, I used a 1" piece of 3/8 pipe, a 3/8 elbow, and a 8" piece of 3/8 pipe. I did it when I first got the compressor, before spiders could get under there [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

This is a 60g upright stationary compressor. A person would have to be careful if this was done on a portable unit.