Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air compressor auto-drains

Re: Air compressor auto-drains

really do not know what your compressor size is but "HARBOR FREIGHT" tool had a automatic moisture drain kit for a round 10 dollars,they have a web site
    2002 JOHN DEERE 790 4WD ,REAR/MID PTO,419 FEL, 7 SERIES HOE

I put a normally open, 120v-coil solenoid in place of the valve at the bottom of my tank, and wired it to the on switch of the compressor. This allows the solenoid to close when the compressor is turned on, and open when the compressor is turned off. I got the solenoid from Grainger (make up a name for your company and you can order on-line).

Doc Heb....are you saying that you have the solenoid wired to the main feed to the compressor.......the one that shuts off power to the machine when you exit the shop and go do something else and then let the machine "blow down"?????
    CJDave

Yes, I wired the solenoid directly to the line voltage in the control switch - if there is 120v to the control, the solenoid is closed. I tend to work in the shop in bursts of time - I'll leave the compressor powered up if I will be working a few days. If I'm not working (or if I'm leaving town), I turn the compressor off and it will drain over 4 - 5 minutes through the solenoid.

My compressor is in a remote corner of my basement in a walled-off area (to contain noise), and I ran sweated copper lines to the garage and my workshop. There the lines terminate in self-rewinding hose reels. At the hose reels I wired in three-way switches to control the coil of a motor control relay (sized for my compressor). The coil on the motor control relay is run by 120v AC. This allows me to turn the compressor on from the two remote 3-way switch locations, and when I turn it off from either location it drains the tank through the solenoid.

Doc......that is SO COOL [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] .... I could not have done it better if I stayed up night and day scheming and thinking! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So do I have this right.....the MOTOR CONTROL is not actually cycling the compressor but is "constant on" while the shop is in use, and the compressor motor is running direct on a two-pole pressure switch? Or do you have a second mag starter that is cycling on air demand? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

It is hard to describe, so I drew a schematic for my setup.

I see what you have there, Doc......you use the tank-mounted pressure switch to cycle the compressor as the air demands come and go., and the magnetic starter is used to shut off the whole works from either location. VERY CLEVER....... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    CJDave