Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about dogs

Re: Please tell me about dogs

Well, after chewing on this (and my lunch), let me make a stab at understanding dogs better.

A) The reason some dogs bark all the time is because they are alone. Either they are alone in their pen or tied up outside, or they are alone in the house or apartment. Too many people do not provide enough attention to their dogs.

This certainly fits in with what I've observed. I see dogs penned up and tied up outside all the time and they bark all the time. I've seen dogs left in houses and apartments while their owners were gone all day and they barked all day. I have always felt sorry for all these lonely dogs.

B) If a dog is kept in the house, then at least he/she gets some companionship when the owners are home. If a dog is kept outside, then he/she gets much less attention, especially when it's not nice out.

I have known and know several people with inside dogs. They are much more involved with everything that goes on. These dogs even get presents and cards for their birthday and Christmas. I've seen dogs get treated better than some kids I know.

I'm not sure what to conclude from this yet. I was told "don't get a cat unless you're going to keep it in the house" and didn't take that advice. Now I realize I should have taken that advice and not gotten the cats.

Well said, Phil! A good analogy to the bored and lonely dog becoming a nuisance (or destructive) would be the bright boy left at home for extended periods of time while both parents work. Sure, some parents luck out with an angel for a kid, but far too many become social menaces by the time they reach their teen years.

I was reminded of this yesterday at another of our sledding parties. My four dogs behaved themselves and made me proud. One visitor brought her outside dog, and no matter how much she yelled and threatened, the dog would not return to her. And why should it? So it can be driven home and confined in the back yard again? Heck, I'd run the other way!

Pete

Danny - I think everyone did a great job of sharing their thoughts on this subject.

I'm a dog person and proud of it. My Newfie slings slime on the walls and ceilings. His hair is everywhere. He will have an "accident" in the house occasionally.

He is probably the best "pal" I could hope for.

I've rescued and rehabilitated a number of dogs. Some physically and others emotionally abused. Emotional abuse can occur in dogs left to entertain themselves.

Please don't go to a pet store and buy one. The conditions these dogs often come from are deplorable. I'm a firm believer in researching a dog for the situation it will be placed in. I'm not sure that's for you.

I believe the commitment to a dog is going to be even more than a cat. You WILL end up taking care of the dog. The kids will only be so responsible......they are children after all.

I don't really think you are a "dog person" from what I've read. That's just fine. Rabbits, goldfish, hamsters..etc. are all a lot less expensive($$ and emotional) experiment to see if the kids are going to be "pet/dog people" when they get older.

From your last post...... <font color="red"> "Now I realize I should have taken that advice and not gotten the cats."
    </font color> Please think about that when you re-read all our comments. Thanks Chuck

Danny,

There are electronic collars available that operate off a remote control. They are specifically for training dogs not to bark. The dog barks, you press the button. I don't know if they work, since I haven't tried one, but it seems similar to the electronic fencing that so many people have had good luck with. They are about $20 or 30.00 at Walmart, Kmart, TSC, etc.

I also saw several shelties that had barks not much louder than a whisper. They were so quiet they were funny. I asked the owner about it and he said their vocal cords had been clipped and that this is apparently something quite common with this type of dog. Sort of like de-clawing a cat. (If I had my choice, I think I'd try the collar. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) Barking is not the only thing dogs do. They also shed, chew on things (mine shreds paper towels--only paper towels, not anything else), scratch, whine to be let out, fed, etc. It's sort of like having another kid. Only this one can't talk, is covered in hair and smells funny when wet.

Living with a pet, any kind of pet, is a give and take situation. Very much like marriage. You found that out with the cats. Each one has its own personality and each is very different. Even being a non-pet person, you should be able to put up with an animal, you just have to pick the right one, and get one with an amiable personality.

Steve

PS There's another thread on here where you could get some pigeons if you're interested. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Danny, I mean this with the best intention, but I don't believe yours a animal person. Some people shouldn't own animals... My neighbor is one of them. A beautiful make Golden Retriever tied on a runner, not socialized and I often hear it bark out of bordem (barks even in its own dog house). Fortunately as its getting older his barking is decreasing some.

I can respect the fact you would like an animal that doesn't disturb everyone, but I think your little too much a control freak.
    1st you try to control where a cat goes to the bathroom when its outdoors... an impossible task, now a dog for your convienience because you don't want to have to clean up after it ...??? A dog won't crap a load on top of another one, so if you want it to keep going in an area you want, then you better plan on keeping it clean.

I will say that a dog will usually go potty away from where they sleep, but they dig where they sleep, mainly in the summer time to lay in the cool dirt.
    Now if you have a male, he will mark his territory, if you have a female, she will attract males that will mark their territory especially when she is in season.

Might I suggest a nice goldfish, they're quiet, don't mess in your bushes and you can train them to eat out of your hand. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I did figure out why dogs are always smelling the ground when they walk. There's poo down there and they dont want to step in it. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

mybe you shouldnt get a dog...look at turtles or fish for your kids.

dogs take alot of work....yes you get get them to relieve themselves in one spot, but that takes alot of work and 2 six year olds are not going to be able to do it. there is 10 fold the work with raising a puppy...as i have be told having a dog is like having a permenat 2 year old!

dogs bark...that why people get them...the let you know when strangers are around.

there is a barkless dog called the besenji but you could not leave this breed outdoors anywhere north of texas. all three of my dogs are very quiet except when someone comes to the door...i like this if you dont...stay with the cats.

A little miniature poodle is a nice dog...but they are an inside dog....nice pets.....smart as well.

You aren't going to be able to make your dog poop where you want, other than outside versus inside. If you really care about that sort of thing, then you won't be happy with any dog or cat.

If you somehow got attached to either, a little poop in the flowerbed won't bother you.

I can't imagine our pets being any less comfortable than we are, as they depend on us for that.

Nothing wrong with being particular about a place you've worked hard on, but pet ownership is all about compromise, and you might not be ready for that.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

"too much a control freak. 1st you try to control where a cat goes to the bathroom when its outdoors... an impossible task"

I have talked to several people who have outside cats and they are amazed when I tell them about my problems. Their cats go off into a field or woods and do their business there.

I really don't think I was being unreasonable. Like I said, we had dogs on the farm where I grew up. I don't recall finding poop all over the yard. Let's just forget I ever asked any questions about dogs - I'm tired of the bashing (pigeons, fish, etc).