Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about dogs

Re: Please tell me about dogs

Danny,

If you thought that the cats were bad you're in for it triple with a dog. You will have to contend with the barking, the mess, etc. etc. There really is no easy way around it. You're also going to have to contend with the dog digging holes and chewing things. I don't see poop very often in our yard but our dogs have 300 acres that they roam over. I don't do much with ours with regard to special treatment. They live their life and when it's time to go work cattle or feed, etc. they are right there. Whenever we go outside and call they come a running. I spent alot of time with them when they were young training them. Now that they are older they don't require much.

I would disagree Danny. I would say a dog is better off outside. To me it's the same as keeping a horse in a stall. They are better off out on pasture. You think you're being good to them but a dog, in my humble opinion, is an outside animal and needs that same room to run around and be happy. We've had many dogs that have lived long lives and always were happy. I'm not saying it's bad to keep a dog inside but it's not something I feel they are better off with.

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

Before you buy a dog, do the animal a favor and get the kids a fish. A dog requires lots of attention. If you keep the dog inside you'll have to "get home" to feed them, and let them out. Going away for a few days or more someone will have to come around to take care of them, or you board them. If you keep the dog outside all the time, why even have the animal then? There's nothing worse than a dog chained up to his doghouse and running around in an eight foot circle begging for some interaction. I agree that dogs are social, and that's a big part of their attitudes and personalities. I've had variuos dogs all my life, currently two Norwegian Elkhounds and two cats. While they all go outside and roam the property, they all still come inside for that interaction. You'd be better off getting the kids one of those robotic dogs or cats that will do just what you want when you want, won't poop or pee, won't bark and when you're bored with it you can put it on a shelf.

how about this

http://www.bonsaikitten.com

sorry...I just couldn't resist [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lighten up on me will ya? No one ever told me that dogs are absolutely miserable if they are outside by themselves for any length of time. I've seen lots of dogs outside, so lots of people don't feel they need to be inside. Even before I started this thread, I never intended to tie one up or put one in a small pen. I've seen people do that and the dogs are obviously not happy and are barking all the time. At least I asked some questions before doing anything. What I originally had in mind was one of those "invisible" electronic fences or something similar so the dog could have an acre or two to run around on.

I'm getting the impression that many of you don't think anyone should have a dog unless they plan to let it live in the house and be with the dog 24/7/365! Even house dogs are left alone a lot - I've seen it many times. I agree that a dog should not be put in a pen or tied up and forgotten. But, surely there's a happy medium.

mosey
    i have no particular issue with people having outside dogs...we had one when i was growing upand it was a great animal that lived a happy life.

i just want you to know that they take alot more work then a cat. they are totally dependent on you and that is not something you are looking for right now and that is okay...

as for the rabbits they dont need to be brought in the garage in the winter...just get a bale of hay and they will make anice nest out of it to keep warm...this is if you have designed a nice hutch for them in the first place...that keeps them dry and out of the wind.

Danny, I've got to hand it to you for not ducking and running - you've put up with quite a thrashing.

We have 3 dogs, no kids, and we're away from home from 7am until 6pm. The dogs have a section of our barn and an enclosed area outside. We started out with only one dog, but for reasons given in other posts, we thought we'd better get him a companion. The 3rd dog we found and while we didn't plan on keeping her, she now has a very comfortable home with us. The dogs come in at night when we get home. Poop detail is daily as weather permits (if it's -20, we might put it off).

I don't remember reading in this thread or the other one you started the actual reason for getting your kids an animal. If you did, I'm sorry I didn't catch it - I was probably wincing at some of the remarks. If it is to introduce them to the responsibility of caring for another living thing, then I think a farm animal might be more suitable. There are some pretty interesting options, like bantam chickens, domestic ducks, and certainly rabbits. I'd be partial to the chicken idea as there are a variety of tasks that can be made to seem more rewarding to a young mind - like finding eggs. Although I don't have any myself, I would very much like to get my own small flock of Buff Orpington chickens as I understand that they are quite calm and do have some pet-like qualitties. Pete would be a better person to qualify that.

Hope this helps, and hang in there.

Paul

Danny, People (myself included) are responding to what info you have given us.
    My lasy dog, a 140 lbs Rottie/bullmastiff mix, (bear) was a outside dog. I couldn't bring it inside for more than a couple of hours after giving him a bath because of the hair. However I provided him with a fenced in yard and a carport for him to guard, play and sleep. He loved the carport because the cement was cool and no fleas.

I don't believe in a dog roaming the neighborhood and I definately don't believe tieing a dog on a chain to a tree, thats just mean. Even though he was an outside dog, I worked, played and times we just hung out together with him almost on a daily basis. He was my buddy. I think others here have had the same experience with their animal as I did in their own way.

Sorry if we aren't giving you that answer you want to hear, maybe next time you might want to give some thought to the question and how you express yourself (as in the rest of the story) [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think a rabbit would be nice. Do you know that they also usually like to use a certain corner to go potty... my father used to put a trash can in the corner at one end of the cage and a lot of the poop ended up in the can... no pun intended.. LOL

BTW, rabbit stew is real good too [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Handyman - "Sorry if we aren't giving you that answer you want to hear, maybe next time you might want to give some thought to the question and how you express yourself (as in the rest of the story)"

Thanks for the help. I'm still confused though, so can you help me out some more? I just re-read my initial post on this thread. I just don't see where I said or even implied that I was planning to put a dog outside in a pen or tied up and only visit the dog on once in a while. Like I said earlier, what I originally had in mind was one of those "invisible" electronic fences or something similar so the dog could have an acre or two to run around on. That would just be for when no one was out with the dog. When we're out with the dog, I'd turn the collar off and we could all go for long walks in the woods (like we do now with the cats).

... "I definately don't believe tieing a dog on a chain to a tree"

I agree 100%!.

<font color="blue"> Thanks for the help. I'm still confused though, so can you help me out some more? I just re-read my initial post on this thread. I just don't see where I said or even implied that I was planning to put a dog outside in a pen or tied up and only visit the dog on once in a while. </font color>

Mosey, you said "It will be an outside dog" you didn't specify tied up, fenced in or invisable fence. People made their own assumptions (myself included [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ).

Keep in mind that communication in the form of a discussion board looses quite a bit compared to face to face conversation. If you &amp; I were talking, I'd probably have asked you, "how are you going to restrain him" Kind of hard to read a couple paragraphs of text &amp; take it all in 100% as intended vs. you say a couple sentances &amp; I can but in any time I need clarification.

Assuming that this form of communication is 50% as effective as face to face, you need to read between the lines of the responses you've gotten. Some were smart alec inteded for humor purposes only, most were well intentioned: the core message being "you &amp; the dog will get the most enjoyment from each other the more time the dog spends with the family." Often when people are trying to make a persuasive arguement, they will take things to the extreme ie: Don't you dare get a dog if you're going to chain him to a tree and only visit him to feed him.

While I can't speak for everybody, I don't think anybody thinks you would intentionally abuse an animal. The fact that you are doing research and asking questions alone shows you care.

That said, you have taken all our "advise" well! So what is the front runner? Dog, Rabbit, Chicken, goat, goldfish, turtle, tree or pet rock [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ?
    Hazmat