Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about dogs

Re: Please tell me about dogs

I have been on the sidelines quietly reading all the goings on. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] To be honest, I'm a cat person so I did not feel qualified to put in my .02 about dogs. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

When I was growing up we always had outside dogs. Because there were only four neighbors within a mile of our house and you had to go another mile before you saw the next neighbor, we allowed our dogs to run loose. As far as I know they never caused any problems for any of our neighbors. We always got them fixed so they never wandered very far and they usually didn't bark unless someone came up the driveway or they spotted a critter in the edge of the woods. When I grew up and got out on my own I had a couple of dogs but it just did not work out for me, living in the suburbs of Houston. The last dog I owned was a Llasa Apso that hated our cats and behaved horribly because of it. In her old age she got to where she would poop and pee in the house no matter how long I made her stay out to do her business. After she died that was it for me and dogs. I don't dislike dogs, you understand, I just don't have a place in my life for them.

On the other hand, my wife and I have four cats in the house and we love them to death. We have two more that live outside that we claim and about six more strays that feed on our porch and have not been hauled to the pound only because I haven't had the heart to send them to an almost certain death. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] As mentioned in another thread, I am fortunate that my outside pets/strays do their business on the drunk's lot next door. (He,he,he!)

I believe that you know how *NOT* to treat a dog, i.e. neglected, tied up and ignored, un-loved, etc. I also believe that you have gotten some frank, honest opinions from several folks who definitely *DO* know how to treat a dog and that explains why you got some gloves-off comments/criticism from them. Aside from a few jabs, which I do not think were meant to be malicious or intentionally hurtful, I think most responses were aimed at making sure that you are well informed and that you do what is not only best for you but best for whatever pet you choose for your family. I can see where you feel that you were ganged up on but I think it is just a matter of selecting a topic which a lot of people are passionate about and the passions came out. Just be glad you are discussing pets and not politics! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Chris

We don't have any kids in the house now, but always had dogs and cats when the kids were growing up. Our kids loved them, and we love them now.

As I sit here writing this post, my laptop is on the arm of my recliner, because I have a 35 pound cocker spaniel in my lap. He is sucking the stress right out of me, as he does every night when I get home. Today is 2 months since he had back surgery, and it was well worth it.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Yea Danny you've been beat up pretty good over this. Sorry to see that as I know you're a good guy. PM or email me if you want I'd like to talk a little more to you.

Danny:

I apologize for the harshness of my comments. You clearly are trying to do the right thing with regard to finding a pet and you are getting a lot of positive suggestions here on CBN (other than mine, which I regret).

As you found with the cats and I continuously find with out Basset, Lucy, communicating your wishes to an animal is difficult to say the least. Funny thing, though, I always know what she wants when Lucy comes up to my chair, rests her chin on my knee and just looks at me with those big brown Basset eyes. It's so simple: "Just give me a little of your attention, please."

Best of luck in your search for a pet.

Dan,

You have blocked people from sending you PM so I can't answer your letter. Email me at mesasage@machlink.com. I have your email at home but not here at the office.

Cowboydoc - Oops! I fixed it now. I'll email you at the email you provided.

I've learned a lot about pets on this thread. Maybe if Muhammad decides to write a book - Pet Buying & Basics this will help him too!

Mosey,
    Myself i am NOT a cat person. Everyone we had would fine a spot in the house one time or another. The litter box was used but not all the time. We had many of them and it allways ended up the same way. Just when you think you got one that hasent pee'd on the floor and you put down new rug..there it is...piss stains. Cats are good out in the barn and thats it for me. We have a Minn Pinn dog (miniture pincher) Great little familey dog...she's a bit yippy, but the kids love her and so dont i. She goes on a paper and my wife is home all day so its easey to take care of. She's real gentle and smart. They are not cheap to buy, but not expensive to maintain. She does need lots of lovin, but thats ok we got it to give. She dont like strangers and thats good too. She is a inside dog too. She does just fine when we go shopping or out for the day. We take her camping and she loves it. I put up a picture of her and my youngest boy
    Good luck to ya, Larry

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    we both like golden retrievers so we're leaning heavily toward one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disadvantages of Owning Golden Retrievers…

First and foremost, I consider Boondox and Von the experts on Goldens... but to supplement what they may have already told you, maybe you should also read the above website at your leisure... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That article could have been written by me........oh yeah and my Shepard-Retriever mix.