Thread: pony's hair is coming out in patches

pony\'s hair is coming out in patches

My son is taking care of the landlord's son's pony. We give him mineral's and sweetfeed, treats like apples, carrots and brush him. I was wondering why the pony's hair is coming out in big patches all over? Does anyone have any idea?

Re: pony\'s hair is coming out in patches

There can be many reasons. Allergic reaction, fungus, etc.

If the pony is not worrying at those spots and there is no rawness or blood, then I would take the simplest route first.

I would try giving the pony a bath with a good mild anti fungal shampoo. Micro-tek has a medicated shampoo that works very well without burning the skin like many of the simple spray on anti fungal treatments.

For us, the best process is to apply the shampoo, lather it up, gently continue to rub with your fingers, let sit for a few minutes 'till it starts to disappear, rub it again and let it sit. Just make sure that the shampoo is on the area for 5-7 minutes. The rinse completely. Once that is done spray on the Micro Tek medicated spray while the horse is wet and leave it there. Try Valley Vet for these products.

We have tried the other anti fungals but they sure can burn the horse.

If that does not work you might think about seeing if there is anything in the feed that has changed.

If it is raw or starts to bleed then chck with a vet.

Mark