Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

I've already tried cats Well, I started feeling guilty. A dog is not looking promising Please tell me about dogs. I can't afford a horse. What are some other options for outdoor pets? Something that can be penned up and still be happy would be preferable. I can afford to build a small pole barn, but not anything big enough for a horse, donkey, etc. I've thought of goats, but don't know much about them. I've also had someone suggest rabbits, but don't know much about them either. The kids are 6 1/2 years old (twins, boy and girl).

PS: Some of the things I'm interested in learning about regarding various pets are: initial cost, cost of spaying/neutering, cost of feeding, cost of shots, and any other hidden costs. Any help regarding where to get them is also appreciated. Also, what arrangements need to be done for their care while we're gone on vacation.

Re: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

If you just want an animal you can pen up outside and leave to the care of a 6 1/2 year old - please don't get anything.

WVBill

I would suggest nothing until the kids make a decision what they want, why they want it, and when they can (or will be told to) take care of it on their own. The cat is the only pet that I can think of that will come close to "taking care of itself" while gone. But that at least takes someone to check in to be sure it didn't die in the corner somewhere and start to stink up the house. Sure do get scolded when you come back home tho. Don't have a cat anymore!

Get the kids bikes, outside toys, that are inanimate and if ignored, just collect dust. Or, if this is really something to keep you from getting lonely, get what you want, and don't kid yourself that it is for "the kids". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What exactly did I say to tick you guys off? I'm just trying to find some kind of pet for the kids that won't be a constant hassle for me. If they're in a pen, then they can't get in the flower bed or poop on the gravel under the carport. Why is that such and outrageous requirement? Obviously, I'll be doing most of the work and paying for the food and whatever else they need. When I said "penned up and still be happy" I didn't mean put in there and forgotten! But, I also don't want something that's going to be miserable if it doesn't get constant attention, since the kids will be in school and we can't be out there with them 24 hours a day! I'm looking for something that the kids can learn to take care of - with my help - and get some fun out of, but without having the garden and flowers destroyed and poop all over the yard.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Danny, I don't think anyone is ticked off, it's just that there is no answer for you right now. Your kids are just too young to be totally responsible for the care of any animal. And if you get them an animal that they have no interest in, then they won't even provide companionship for it.

As I said before, if they were interested in a rabbit, that would work, but only if YOU or your wife was in charge of the care. Unless your kids are the most mature kids in the world for their age, they are just too young to be totally responsible for the care of any animal.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

"Your kids are just too young to be totally responsible for the care of any animal"

Can someone tell me when and where I ever said that? If I did, it was a complete typo! I have never said that!

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Danny, I'm sorry. I re-read your original post, and you never did say that!! I misunderstood!! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

OK, in that case I would suggest a rabbit or rabbits. You can build or buy a hutch, and they do well outside. In fact building the hutch would be a good project to do with the kids.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Danny -- I think you struck a chord with those of us who have devoted pets and know first hand how much they can enrich your lives. And I think maybe at least some of us hope you can come to experience that firsthand yourself...but it won't happen with any creature kept in a pen. Can you imagine how much fun (NOT!) a child would be if it was kept in its bedroom for the majority of his or her life?

After several bad experiences with parents shopping for a pet for their children, we no longer release rescued goldens to families with kids less than ten years old...and over ten it is perfectly clear that the contract is with the parent, not the child. This is not meant as a slam against children, but rather as an acknowledgement that kids need to reach a certain level in their psycho-social development before they are capable of caring for another sentient being.

I have a constructive suggestion. If you have an animal shelter in the area how about taking the kids over and do some volunteer work? That way you get exposed to a variety of creatures, can play with each, and in time (and as your children mature) get a better feel for what would be appropriate.

Simmer down a bit. Nobody here is slamming you. Again, we know how much more fulfilling animal companionship can be than mere "pet ownership."

Pete
    Ragtag Golden Retriever Rescue
    Lamoille County, Vermont

"but it won't happen with any creature kept in a pen"

I think there has been some misunderstanding here. When I said "penned up" I didn't mean an 8'x10' pen. I meant a half acre or an acre - for something like rabbits or goats. Horses are also "penned up", but they're generally penned up in an area of a few acres. The idea is that I can control where they can't go. But, they can do what they want and poop anywhere they want inside their pen.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I didn't mean an 8'x10' pen. I meant a half acre or an acre

[/ QUOTE ]

Danny, Danny, Danny: Dogs are not livestock. They need interaction. They need a pack, with you as the Alpha male. The size of the pen won't matter; a dog is a social animal.

Try the animal shelter thing. Shelters are always looking for volunteers to walk and exercise their charges. It won't cost you anything but time. And it might save you some frustration.

Pete