Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

Re: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

Mosey,
    Why does it need to be an outside pet? Why not get them a rat and build a nice pen/cage for it in your basement? Seriously, they are supposed to be pretty intelligent and make good pets, they don't generally have a long lifespan, so when your kids are a few years older and ready for something that takes a bit more commitment, chances are the rat won't be around anymore. I have to agree with the replies you've been getting. I'm not a PETA person, but definitely don't consider pets as throwaway items because they cause a little inconvenience. Without going into your profile, if you live where it's cold, you're going to have a problem with keeping water unfrozen in the winter and that can become a big hassle as well. Even for a rabbit. I was serious about the rat, you can do more with them than a rabbit anyway.

Danny,

Rabbits wouldn't need 1/2 an acre. Small pens are all I ever see them raised in. Goats could use the 1/2 acre. There are a couple of things about goats and kids though. First, the children must be taught to never, never pat the goat on top of the head. This can encourage the goat to reciprocate by butting. Also, they must be taught to never try to ride the goat. Goats are not horses and this can break their spines, which results in the goat needing to be destroyed. Goats like to climb and will climb fences. (This spring, I will be putting up a 6' ratite fence with electric fencing inside to prevent climbing and rubbing. The local 4H recommends 3 strands of electric wire. One at 6" to discourage crawling under, one at 30" to discourage rubbing and one at about 48" to discourage climbing.) They don't do it to be mean to you, they are just really curious and friendly and will try to climb up on the fence to get attention. (They also just really like to run around loose [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ). They are quite adept at working gate latches and can usually figure out how to handle one if they can reach it. Their hoofs need to be trimmed, and they are subject to several diseases that you would probably want to test for prior to purchase. A grade goat might be had for under $50.00. I have heard of champion goats selling for several thousand dollars. Our animals are tattooed, registered and papered with traceable lineage and were in the range of several hundred per goat. If the children were a little older, this might be a viable option (assuming your local 4H has a goat chapter), as there are competitions and shows that the kids can get involved in. A nanny goat would be the preferred choice over a billy. (The billys have a strong odor for a good part of the year-- say January to november [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ). The photo at left is of me with Lilly, our only grade goat and the first animal which we purchased. What you can't see in the picture is that Lilly was distracting me while Rebecca was sneaking up behind me to chew on my coat. (Not eat it, just chew on it. That's another thing goats do, they chew on stuff.)

Rabbits seem like the most likely choice. Not having raised them, I don't know a whole lot about it. But, it would seem they are relatively cheap to purchase and need minimal investment (both in space and money) for housing. All of their droppings would be confined to one spot, and I understand the droppings are very good for gardens. I'm not sure how long a #50 pound bag of food would last, but I would expect it to be awhile.

I don't know if I can tell you anthing more, but if you have a question, I'll try.

Steve

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But, they can do what they want and poop anywhere they want inside their pen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand Danny. Just because you have an acre of land, doesn't mean you can have an animal and NOT have to clean up after it... even a pig needs to be cleaned up after. You can't have an animal and just feed it and water it without working with it... yes working, teaching.

How about planting a tree in the middle or your yard... it still requires water, an occasional feeling and the tree in return will give you pleasure by providing shade, something for your kids and their kids to play in and around. Unfortunately it also requires some maintaining, you might have to rake some leaves in the fall.

Or maybe a nice garden... there is nothing better than fresh veggies [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I apologize for my sarcasm, but to ask people what kind of pet you should get for your kids just so you can pen it up isn't really a question that a responsible person would ask.

I have 5 acres in the country and I have been looking for some type of "Grass Muncher" (cow, horse, pony), but I realize that they require more care than I can offer since I'm away from home so much. So instead I have been planting various unique shade trees. (Yes this is a hobby I've substituted for instead of getting animal)

Have you thought about a hobby where YOU and your twins can do together..? remote control air planes, cars, boats... a go cart where they can ride, race and have fun, you have the room... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In my opinion, time shared is much more memorable &amp; rewarding than a "Penned animal".

[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Sorry, but you didn't tick me off. I was giving you a straight answer as best I could in response to your questions.

Now, if you have the answers, then.........

But keep [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

if you really NEED and animal the rabbit idea is the best one mentioned as of yet.

they dont take up much space and can be really fun....plus there are some huge ones that dont mind being held and played with.

i had some when i was little and it was great...we would take them out of ther pens one in a while (you have to keep them seperate, same sex will kill eachother and oppisite will make make babies....lots of them. if you have them in a raised hutch you can just shovel the poop into the garden and its great fertilizer!

very low maintenace, very quiet, very cheap, dont live too long 7-8 years i sopose.

yet again i think if you must have an animal look at rabbits

oh and yes you upset me...i am offended that you think an animal knows where you dont want them to relieve themselve when nature tells them to mark your territory with stoole. and then you are nice enough to give them a 100 watt light bulb, but not let them in the garage or basement, so they stay closer to the warmth and have to go.....what did you expect them to do? i dont think you would venture too far away from your house to pee when is 2 degrees outside! why should they?

Hi Danny, this certainly has become an interesting thread. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I've read all of your posts and I can't determine why you want a pet. Please know that I am not trying to be a smarty-pants or being sarcastic. If we knew why, it might be easier to recommend something.

If I've read your posts correctly, the requirements for the animal are;

1. Can live outdoors in all seasons in a simple shelter, i.e., it will not be an indoor pet.
    2. Needs minimal interaction with humans outside of feeding and medical attention.
    3. Not a dog or a cat.

Some animals that come to mind are;
    - Miniature horses
    - Pigs
    - Chickens
    - Llamas
    - Alpacas
    - Other fowls, e.g. ducks, geese, etc.
    - Rabbits (as others have mentioned)

A pigmey goat nanny will fit the bill well for you and the sprouts.Get a kid,let em grow together.I would say 2 would be better than 1.Less than 20 bucks a pop would be about rite around here.They really dont like grass that much but are good with most else.Dont bet anybody that a goat wont climb a tree,you'll lose! They are very low mant.Hope I helped ya.

Back in the 1970's we bought a pet rock...easy to take care off.Even came with a box for it to stay in.

Pete - Please re-read my initial post on this thread. I'm not asking about dogs here! I already stated that cats, dogs, and horses are not an option and that I'm looking into what other animals might make good pets.

Fred - "Why does it need to be an outside pet?" Good question. The problem is that my house is already full! I don't have a basement. I haven't been able to figure out an affordable way to add on. But, I have plenty of room outside. I'm considering rabbits because I could at least put their hutch in the garage during the winter.

Steve - Thanks for the info on goats and rabbits.

Handyman - Thanks for responding. I agree that I will still have to clean up after them. I don't mind doing that. I grew up on a farm and have pitched lots of manure! The key point is that I don't want to be cleaning it off the garage and breezeway floor, gravel, flower beds, etc. We couldn't even open the windows last summer because the cat poop under them stunk up the house! "tree ... garden" The bashing continues!

kokopelli - Thanks for the info on rabbits. I apologize for offending you. I acted based on info from other outdoor cat owners who have never had the problems I have. I have talked to several people who have outside cats and they are amazed when I tell them about my problems. Their cats go off into a field or woods and do their business there. For example, everyone told me a cat won't poop where he/she can't cover it up and that has turned out not to be true. I was given bad info and acted on it. If I would have known the truth to start with, I would never have gotten the cats.

Mike - I don't want a pet, the kids do. Thanks for the list of suggestions.

kerr - Thanks for the suggestion.

Steel_Wheels - Now the bashing is getting harder - literally - ouch, those rocks hurt when they hit!

Why is everybody so defensive about penning up a pet? (remember, I don't mean dogs). Horses are penned up. Goats are penned up. Just because they're penned up doesn't mean they are abandoned! I didn't say I want to pen something up and forget about it. I also never said I was going to leave the 6 1/2 year old kids in complete charge of the animals care. I've obviously gotten on the bad side of pet owners and am being assumed to be a mean spirited animal hater, which is not true.

Danny,

Seriously consider the pigeon idea. I know some folk who raise them for racing. It's not the world's most popular sport. (Not on ESPN much). But, these guys have really gotten into it. The birds are quieter than chickens, eat less, and because they are handled regularly, it is easy to cull the flock and keep the population where you want it. They do tend to poop on stuff. But, it's kind of interesting having a pet that you can take on vacation, drop off a couple off hundred miles from home, and have it beat you back.

On the rabbits, are these to be inside or outside pets? I know people who have indoor rabbits, and others that have outdoor ones. If you get the right breed, you can always eat them. (Don't know how the kids would feel about that). I don't know that they would have to be moved into the garage in the winter, although that would certainly help with their water freezing. But, they would need to be sheltered from the wind like just about any other critter.

Steve