Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

Re: Need suggestions for outside pets for kids

Danny:

Goats come to mind. I've never owned any, but they can be comical. They do need shelter, and you might need a mule to keep the coyotes off of them however.

The problem with dogs is that they think they are people, and almost as smart.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Steve - "Seriously consider the pigeon idea." Please remember, I'm looking for something for the kids. I really don't think the kids will have much fun with pigeons.

I kind of like the idea of goats. The neighbors have some and the kids have gone over and petted them and like them. But my wife doesn't like that idea.

Rabbits seemed like a good idea until I researched them some more. I seems they're fine at first, but soon become "un-playful" and don't like to be handled.

Miniature horses would just frustrate the kids, especially my daughter, who is crazy about horses and wants one she can ride. Some friends have some full size horses and the kids have ridden them and love them. Maybe in a few years if my wife goes back to work, then we can get horses. By then the kids will be older and can do more of the work, and hopefully I'll be done with most of the projects I'm planning to do (build room addition, build pole barn, etc) and have more time to deal with pets. I've had some people tell me horses don't take that much time and aren't that expensive, but others tell me are they like another full time job and are expensive. It depends on how well a person takes care of them I guess.

I need to get something that the kids will enjoy and not get bored with. That was part of the problem with the cats. They never were playful. We got them toys and the kids would go out and try to play with them, but all the cats ever really wanted to do was lay around.

I found the article below on epinions. The cost of neutering is discouraging!

<font color="green">The truth about pet rabbits, bunnies, hares, or whatever you wanna call em. Jun 25 '02

The Bottom Line Bunnies are affectionate, clean, loving animals. With the right care they make wonderful pets!

We went to the pet store and bought a little bunny for the kids for Easter. I didn't know a thing about them! I bought the bunny and an entire package including a "Getting Started Guide," a cage, timothy hay, rabbit pellets, salt licks, wood chips, a water bottle and even a little food dish. I had no idea how to take care of this pet, but I do now! It's been, believe it or not, a very rewarding experience.

If you are thinking about purchasing a bunny rabbit for yourself or your child, I've composed a list of things that may help you.

It takes time and effort
    Remember that you have to take the time to give your rabbit fresh water, food and love every day. You need to groom it, clean it's cage, and let it have exercise. If you don't have time to do these things then I wouldn't buy a bunny.

What kind of rabbit do you want?
    There are over 50 different breeds of bunnies. We simply chose the cheapest one! LOL I wouldn't buy a giant bunny for a child because they can be a real chore. At the same token, I wouldn't buy a miniature breed of rabbit because a child may squeeze, drop or generally mishandle it. It depends on who the rabbit is for. Angora and other fluffy rabbits require way too much grooming for my taste. We asked the pet store owner how big our bunny would grow. We were told no more than 5 pounds, and this was perfect for us.

Buy a healthy rabbit
    When choosing your bunny, whatever breed, make sure that you check it's eyes and nose for anything crusty or oozy. Also, check it's back paws for saturation. This is a sign of incontinence. Rabbits, like cats, are easily litter/potty trained. Make sure your rabbit is active and moving instead of sitting hunched over with no movement. Check the 'solidness' of the bunny, make sure it doesn't feel very bony and light.

Picking up your rabbit
    I've read that when the rabbit is weaned (after 8 weeks) it's ok to pick it up by the scruff of the neck. Other sources say that you should always support the hind legs of the rabbit and hold it close to your body so it feels secure. This is how we handle our rabbit, and she's very calm and affectionate.

Home for your bunny
    Many people keep their pet rabbits outside but we keep ours in the house. There are plenty of places to purchase rabbit cages. I chose one from Walmart, and it was about $30.00. Line the bottom of the cage with woodchips, which can be purchased in a bunny-packet for $3-4. But a 'bunny toilet' and put it in the corner. This is where your bunny will pee and leave its poop pellets. It's pretty cute to see it sitting there on its throne!! Supply the rabbit with chew toys like special salt licks and veggie licks. Any pet store can direct you to these items. Always have a bottle of fresh water (the drink out of a silver water feeder like a hamster), and plenty of fresh timothy hay. One bag of timothy hay lasts over three months and costs about $4.00. Give your rabbit 'bunny pellets' daily.

More on feeding
    Surprisingly, bunnies don't eat carrots like Bugs Bunny does. They can slowly be introduced to veggies and fruits, but it's best to stick to the leafy veggies like lettuce and the tops of carrots. We feed our bunny fruit treats once in a while like a slice of apple or pear. They enjoy variety, but it's important not to upset their digestive system because bunnies cannot regurgitate. They are NOT part of the rodent family, but nonetheless they cannot get rid of their food by any means besides digestion.

Grooming
    A rabbit will change coats twice yearly. They are constantly cleaning themselves like a cat, so you need to be very careful to brush and groom your bunny. Again, they can't regurgitate a hairball so this is vital.

Bunny Behaviour
    Rabbits are very affectionate creatures, when they want to be. They will cuddle with you and sit on your lap. At the same token, they will scratch you and nip at you. This usually means they are..well..horny! It's their natural instinct so many people like to get their rabbits fixed. However, this procedure can cost up to $100.00 and not many vets know how to do it. We haven't taken this step, but our rabbit is calm for the most part. We let it have free run of the house, but we have to be careful that it doesn't bite through electric cords. I still have no sound on my computer thanks to our bunny! If a rabbit hisses or growls at you, it's probably best to get rid of it. It has probably been mistreated at some point of its life, and there's no going back.

Some other good points
    *Never leave your bunny in direct sunlight, although they do like some sunlight. We keep ours in a window and let it outside in a cage once in a while.

*Be careful letting small children handle a rabbit, and never let them pick a rabbit up by the ears.

*Don't ever flick or abuse a rabbit for poor behaviour. It won't work, it will just make the rabbit mean.

*Make sure you clean its cage at least once a week. It smells and you'd be surprised at how much waste a rabbit produces in its own little corner.

*Buy a rabbit ONLY from a licensed pet dealer to assure that you're getting a quality pet. I've seen them at the farmer's market on a Saturday piled on top of one another and they don't look very healthy.

*Make sure you're in this for the long haul. A rabbit can live up to 10 years with proper care.</font color>

That's surprising about the carrots, I wonder if it's true? I read somewhere else that rabbits should never be fed lettuce, so I don't know what to believe at this point. It would probably be fun for the kids to grow something in the garden and then feed rabbits with what they've grown.

Danny, I raised New Zealand White rabbits for a couple of years; started with one buck and three does, and in a little over two years, produced about 350 rabbits. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The article quoted is not bad. Rabbits will tend to use one corner of their cage for the bathroom. The main feed I used was Purina Rabbit Chow (made primarily from alfalfa), but they also loved for me to pull handsfull of grass and clover and put in the cages. I don't recall giving them lettuce, but they did like cabbage leaves. And if you put a whole carrot in the cage, they'll eat the entire top quickly and just nibble on the carrot a bit. I suppose if they got hungry, they'd eat the whole carrot. Personally, I'd never want a rabbit for an indoor pet, but a few people do. And as the article pointed out, they'll chew or gnaw on everything.

I also raised mixed breed goats and think a nanny goat makes a great outdoor pet. They'll follow you around like a dog and the only downside I found was the fact that they love to climb; on everything, jump up on the workbenches in the shop, on top of cars, on my tractor, and anywhere else they find interesting. But do not get a billy goat for a pet (I got mine for breeding from a kid who got him as a baby goat, but he grew up and the kid wanted to be rid of him and I don't blame him).

I may have it wrong, but I'm getting the drift that "real animal lovers" that spend a lot of time with their pets don't have any young kids in the house. It might be fair to say that for most people there's time for one or the other, but not both?

Danny,

As I said, I've never raised rabbits, so I'm not sure about the carrot thing. But, it would make sense. Rabbits in the wild typically hop around and eat whatever they can find, which would include most green leafy things and probably not a lot of roots.

If the kids are already familiar with goats, a pygmy might make a good pet. Or, you might consider one of the larger breeds. Countryside Magazine has plans in the current issue for building a goat cart out of conduit and a couple of bike wheels. If you decide to get one, ask if it was tested to ensure it is CAE free. This is a rather nasty disease that goats are subject to. (We have a friend that will be putting down most of her herd this spring to eliminate it.) Also, a scrapie test and TB test are probably worth considering.

Steve

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

When I was about 15, I got 2 white pekin ducks for pets. I kept them in a dog house my father built, and I had a wire pen for them. The pen was small because that was only for night use. During the day, they had the run of the yard (1/2 a) . Make the pen bigger and they'll be happy. I had a "kiddie" swimming pool for them. My ducks loved to be picked up and followed me around. I received mine as ducklings, but you may want to try young adults. Try the want ads, or a livestock auction. Just like chicks, ducklings need to be kept VERY warm. (90-95 degrees F)I had the ducklings in a box in the house with a heat lamp on them, then they where in a makeshift pen on the floor of the family room until the white feathers started to come in, then they went outside. You feed them duck pellets from the feed store and left overs. I entered my ducks in the local county fair and won first prize and best waterfowl! Ducks are easy, you'll get an edible egg from the females, no vet care, no spaying, simple housing, and you don't have to be playing with them 24 hours for them to be happy, and they're small. They are fun to watch swim. They do poop in the yard if you left them run and can be killed by dogs etc if you have them in your area. But your kids are old enough to play with them with your help with their care. Just remember, no matter what you get- animals are a life time committment. They are not toys to be discarded when every one is tired of them or too expensive , or too time consuming. Any animal ties you down. They must be fed and cared for. You can't go on vacation without a GOOD and RELIABLE pet sitter. Think of what you may want and read up on the type of care required and see if it 's good with your budget and lifestyle. Not everyone is cut out to be a pet owner. Know your limits.

<font color="blue"> don't have any young kids in the house </font color>
    We've had dogs and cats since before the kids were born and they're 16 and 18 years old now...the kids, not the dogs and cats. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I would suggest rabbits they are a great pet for kids but shouldn't be penned together. They have a very low maintence. Their cages should be cleaned once a week and fed when ever their food dishes or water bottles run out and they don't cost nearly as much as horses or even dogs. They can be cagged in a barn and be fine. I think this is a great starting pet for kids. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, we tried the rabbits. Got them this spring. They are Mini Lops. We got 2 of them. Sisters, so they have always been together. We got them because a friend had one and it seemed nice. They let it out and it frolicked around the yard, let the kids pet it and hold it, etc. Our rabbits would run off as soon as we let them out of the hutch and go hide under something. We had a hard time getting them to come out. We would carry them back to the yard by the house and they would immediately run off again. We were very patient and treated them gently, but they never liked to be held and would scratch anyone who tried to pick them up. We picked them up just like we were told, never by the ears (which I would never have tried anyway), but by the scruff of their neck and under their back legs, and they would just flail around and scratch us. We never yelled at them or punished them in any way because I was warned they don't respond to that. We told our friends about it and they said that's normal for rabbits. The one that was nice is rare. The kids never had any fun with them, since they just never seemed to like being around people, they just wanted to run off and hide. After 3 months of this we decided to give it up and gave them away today, including the hutch, water bottle, food bin, and a bag of food.