Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air compressors: what's the difference?

Air compressors: what\'s the difference?

I've settled on a two-stage compressor rated at 175psi and able to deliver at least 14cfm at 90psi. But now that I'm in the shopping mode, what's the difference between a $1200 Quincy or Puma, a $1000 Ingersoll-Rand, and an $800 extreme duty Campbell-Hausfeld? The specs are really close between the models. What makes a Puma worth $400 more than a C-H? (BTW: Those prices include magnetic starters where required.)

Pete

Re: Air compressors: what\'s the difference?

You may be looking at units which differ in the configuration.....some may be two-cylinder TWO STAGE and some may be two-cylinder ONE stage. Also, I've never seen a Campbell Hausfield in a machine shop, a truck shop, or a body shop slugging away hour after hour, whereas I've seen a lot of Quincys and IRs. That might be a clue. I was looking at some units recently and I found that it was difficult to compare HP ratings without using the running amps of the motors since the motor nameplates are phonied up to deliberately confuse the buyers. Compare amps motor to motor and you'll get a better idea. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Pete, I think the answer is the same as the tools thread over on TBN. For a serious/commercial user with high duty cycle the lower priced compressor won't last. For a homeowner/hobbiest it may be just fine and the savings will bring another tool or two to your arsenal.

For me, it depends on how much I foresee using a tool in my future. I recently picked up a new sliding compound mitre saw. Got the best one I could find as I have many projects in mind for it.

On the other hand, I'd like to pick up a welder. I don't see myself ever being a Wrought'n Harv type, just some repairs and light fabrication. I'll probably go with a lesser model but risk being disappointed with it.

In the end I can only say that I've never kicked myself for buying too much tool [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Pete:
    Perhaps the usage you put the commpresor to may be a determining factor. Sandblasting may be a major job for you in the near future.

Egon

Like the others have said, I think it comes down to durability and probably rebuildability, cast iron pumps vs aluminum and compressor rpm. If it is only for light use go with a cheaper unit, the tank may rust out before you wear it out. Otherwise, buy the true commercial one.

I have a Quincy QT-5 2 stage 80 gal tank, runs like a champ and is quieter and pumps up faster than my friend's C-H 60 gallon single stage. You are going to see better design on the true commercial units. I have never had to do anything other than oil changes. My friend has had problems with the motor mounting on the C-H, keeps coming loose smoking the belt. Probably an isolated case.

Anyway enough rambling, basically I think you get what you pay for on a compressor.

Gary

Gary -- Did you buy that Quincy near you, or have it shipped to you? The only decent compressor I can find out here in Vermont is an IR T-30. Everything else comes from FAR away!

Pete

Er...ah...Pete..... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] .... Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING "far away" when you're one o' them "Green Mountain Boys"? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Boondox,

I bought mine locally in Oklahoma City from General Compressor. There is usually an Industrial Show in mid-April here and they had a special purchase of these "small" compressors.

Tip Tools Tip Tools Air Compressors has the Quincy online, but to me their price is a little high. Maybe the going price given the time difference between my purchase and now.? Regarding price, it has been 7-8 years since mine was purchased seems like mine was 1050 plus tax.

Good luck on your search.

Gary

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    isn't JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING "far away"

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much everything but contentment. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

I have just GOT to see Vermont someday. Maine and New Ham-sha too. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave