Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second welding class starting

Second welding class starting

Tonight was the first night for my second welding class. As this was a repeat of the safety films I've already seen I opted out of tonight but am looking forward to next week. I'm hoping to learn a little about MIG welding this time around as the first class was dedicated to ARC welding. MIG welding will likely be what I'll actually do on my own so this is the class I really need. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Second welding class starting

Don't forget to "stitch" the seam with that mig wire, Gary. Newbies often make the mistake of thinking that the wire machine burns in like stick does. They DO burn in real good, but it's a lot more "local" and If you don't MOVE the wire side to side, your weld won't really tie the two pieces together very well, hence the term "Glue Gun" that stupid people give to MIG welders because they have never developed good technique and their welds fail repeatedly. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    CJDave

When MIG welding after having stick welded previously be sure and keep the wire on the leading edge of the puddle to insure good penetration. If the wire is allowed to be in the middle of the puddle most of the penetration will be in the puddle and not nearly as deep. If on the leading edge the penetration will be in the base metal and result in a much stronger weld.

On the first night my instructor took a couple pieces and set them at 90 degrees and ran a truly beautiful bead in the seam. He then asked what I thought and I said it looked great. At that point he grabbed one piece and banged the other on the table and they came apart cleanly. He made his point; Not all good looking MIG welds are good welds.

Ever since then I've been diligent in running my little 'Z' patterns and have yet to be able to break one of mine even using a vice on one piece and pipe extender on the other. I've bent the plate and the pipe, but not broken the weld. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The instructor seems to be taking a special interest in seeing that I really get this stuff. I mentioned that to him and he said most of the people there will get OTJ training when they leave. He knows I won't so he wants to be doubly sure mine are going to be good welds when I'm doing it on my own.

With the kind of stuff I'll likely be doing (trailers, hitches, tie downs, etc.) he said it's important mine are good since they'll likely be going down the highway at 70 mph. I told him I'd really know how he feels about how well he taught me when he looks over and sees me passing him on the interstate with a trailer I built from scratch. If he doesn't cringe, I'll know I'm fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Gary,.....you have the right idea there, and it is SO IMPORTANT to really burn that wire in there. It is real easy to have your weld rolled up at the edges from no penetration. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The guy who instructed me when I bought a wire machine in the Fall of '77 told me to: "Turn up the heat and MOVE THAT WIRE!" He wanted my welding to sound like eggs frying, and he pestered me until I could finally DO it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave

<font color="blue"> "He wanted my welding to sound like eggs frying" </font color>

That is EXACTLY the same analogy my instructor used, too. He had me playing around with temperatures and wire feed speeds so I'd be able to set and adjust for whatever I needed and still get the right combinations. I wasn't event trying to test it by running a bead and then trying to break it or anything--I did it strictly by sound. Sure enough, when I got the right sound I'd then weld a couple pieces together and test it in the vice with a breaker bar on the other piece and it would hold just fine.

Next on my list is doing vertical welds. I've got the horizontals down pretty good but need more than a little work on making the verticals look good. I'm fairly confident what I did would hold OK, but it's too ugly to even admit I did it. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I don't know why, but I can run a pretty nice looking horizontal weld while my first attempts (last week--this is 'spring break') at vertical welds were truly embarrassing. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm guessing (and hoping) that it's one of those things that will just take time and practice. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Yep.....that's about it; it just takes some time and experience. Vertical and overhead requires even MORE movement and puddle control, but the main reason that most folks cannot do it is PRACTICE. It's just easier for them to weld flat in welding class...over and over...than it is for them to get the crap burned out of them practicing welding overhead and vertical. And the tragedy is that it's the ONE time they will have some real HELP to learn the correct ovhd and vert technique. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Believe me when I tell you that wire welding overhead can be hazardous. The hot material that drops down on you is way worse than stick. Don't even THINK of doing it without leathers. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

That's one thing I really like about this class/instructor. After one session of doing flat/horizontal welds and having that down pretty well from the ARC class, the instructor immediately suggested we work on some verticals. If/when I get comfortable with that, he wants me to do overheads.

I think I'm getting some real good, practical education here on things I'll likely encounter in the real world. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

You're welding,you're supposed to get burned.You can show people the scars latter and tell tales about all the big jobs that you've been on.You ain't felt nothing untill you've had a nice big spark somehow find its way down through your ear canal to your eardrumb,it makes your toes curl,no lie.Why do you think welding caps got bills on them. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Well, if you want to get burned so you can tell war stories that's your choice. For me, however, the idea of avoiding as many burns as humanly possible sound more up my alley.

Just last night I got to the point of running vertical welds that would not only hold but be something I'd not be embarrassed to claim as something I'd done. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'll probably do a bit more of that next week and then go on to overhead work. If there was ever something where I thought I could get burned, I'd guess that would be it. I've avoided anything dramatic thus far and would like to keep that streak alive. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]