Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Second welding class starting

Re: Second welding class starting tonight

Richard,
    I'm very pleased to say that I fell into that group of people who don't find overhead any more difficult than vertical. Last night I ran a couple of horizontals to start and adjust my machine as I always do. Once I was done with that I ran a vertical or two to get into the swing of those again. I then decided to just try an overhead on my own so I could see what I'd come up with.

When I was done I took it down and showed it to my instructor telling him what I'd done. It was solidly stitched but noticeably heavier on what had been the horizontal piece than the vertical piece. He told me run one more and to "favor" the overhead a bit because of the natural tendency of the molten material to run downward. I did and when I showed it to him he told me that was my "A" for the overhead. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Glad to hear that GARY, yeah he told you right,gravity is always working on your bead one way or another when you out of the flat postion,you might end up taking the next advanced class. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Actually, I'm thinking that after this one ends I'm probably done with welding classes for at least a while. There's no way I want to be taking another one in the summer time. Last night was warm and stuffy enough in there and it was only up into the mid-seventies for a high yesterday afternoon. No way to I want to spend time there in the heat of the summer.

I think I'm at a point where I need practice and experience doing what I've learned more than I need additional knowledge on how to do more and different things. I need to get my own welding room set up out at my barn so I can spend some time practicing there.

I'll never call myself a welder. I've seen the work and skill of good welders and appreciate the difference between them and me. I just want to do some things for myself that'll hold as good as a pro's work and look good enough I won't be ashamed to have a good welder see. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary:

Them good welder's started out just like you. Practice and time.

Egon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just want to do some things for myself that'll hold as good as a pro's work and look good enough I won't be ashamed to have a good welder see.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case... Wouldn't it make you a good pro ? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think I've decided that I'm going to fore go buying a welder... I'm just going to bring my stuff up to Gary's place and let him practice on welding my stuff together.. LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

He did say he needed the practice... right ? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> "I'm just going to bring my stuff up to Gary's place and let him practice on welding my stuff together" </font color>

You know ... it's amazing how many people have made me that very offer. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Right now I've already got a grille guard to build and a receiver hitch to install for a friend's 4x4 P/U, a new coupler and jack stand to put on another friend's snowmobile trailer and some hooks to install on yet another friend's loader bucket. I never knew I had so many friends. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Gary......the problem I see with some or all of those projects is that it is a lot of fab and fit-up and not many hours of welding. How about I send you an 18A D8 that a buddy has and you can practice building up the rails, rollers, sprockets and grousers with Stody Hardfacing rod? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That should take you till at least August. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Perhaps throw in the rollers from a crusher to fill in the spare time .

Egon