Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second welding class starting

Re: Second welding class starting

With that nice 35 mph wind blowing you may be in the shop drinking coffee.

Egon

Re: Ergon\'s word picture

Renumeration.

Egon

<font color="blue"> Renumeration </font color>

Isn't that the process of replacing numerals? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, I just couldn't resist. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm sure you meant 'Remuneration.'

Well, I know what I meant , but in the days of learning the three R's I always got to sit at the back of the class.

Egon

Hey ergon,tell him you got to push that stringer bead in there and not to worry about a few little holes,cause you'll get them with the hot pass. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Gauthier:

Now this will sound very embarassing but I cannot weld. Much off my life was spent in the oilfield and much of that time was spent watching welder's at work and looking at xrays.

Usually I had term such as "Operations Sponser" which meant preparing the welding sites [ purging and blanking etc. ] and then standing around with dectectors while the welding was being done. Gofor would be best description. Mostly the welders were using portable four cylinder gas driven Lincon Welders mounted on a 3500 chassis.

I , myself do not have the temperment for welding. It takes a lot of patience, concentration, endurance and lots of practice.

Yes, I can strike a rod and make a pass or two, but it would not pass inspection nor would I do it as no matter where a weld failure coulds cause damage. To me welding is serious business best left to the proffessionals.

It used to fun watching 1o or so welders and several cherry pickers all doing thier thing. It always amazed me how the pipe fitters could measure things up and how the flanges always mated.

Egon

O.K.,egon,than I'll tell him to push that stringer in there.Nice taking to you,RICHARD GAUTHIER

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Stringer bead....5/52" rod; hot pass.....1/8" rod; cover pass.....5/32" rod. Got that Gary? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That'll save you having to drag yourself out of that hole to adjust the machine. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A triple-pass on 54" pipe shouldn't take you more than about .....oh....say.....eight hours. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Second Welding Class Starting Tonight

You guys are funny. I'm doing this because I want to, not because I have to. I have two guys in the shop who weld, for Pete's sake.

My only thought was that with this skill I could do some things for myself either at the shop or out at the barn rather than waiting to have it done or hauling something back and forth. You obviously have me confused with someone who has to work with his hands. I'm someone who wants to work with my hands for the satisfaction it gives me. There is a distinct difference.

I'll hang some more stuff on my own tilt bed trailer. I'll build some stuff for my own shop. I'll build my own hitch for my own tractor. I'll build my own dolly for my own motorcycle. I'll build a brush guard for a pickup which belongs to a friend of mine. I'll probably even end up building a hog roaster on a trailer just to use for get togethers at my place and to loan to friends for parties. Of course, I may have to stop by and check on it while it's being used elsewhere. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Second Welding Class Starting Tonight

Gary......I'm sure that you now know waaaayyy more about the business of welding than you will ever need....or WANT to know. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] One concession to professional-grade welding that you SHOULD make, however, is to buy leather sleeves. Sparks don't care wether you are welding for pay or not when they land on the inside of your elbow,....burn through the shirt....and leave a nice hole in you. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Very few hobby-grade welders ever buy leathers, and that's one reason why they never get good at overhead and vertical...Oww!...Ouch!....Yike!.....Yow! welding techniques. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You could ask your sweetie to buy you some; you know how chicks love to buy clothing of any kind. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    CJDave