Thread: work light

work light

Anybody got a good design for a stand for work lights. Those 300 or 500 watt halogens. Would like to mount two on a stand. Lowes has a nice one but they want $90.00 for it. Ouch! May go back and copy it. I have got some scraps of square and round tubing and was thinking I could weld something up. Wondered if you all have any pointers on design. Mostly the legs are bothering me.

Thanks

Gary

Thanks

Re: work light

The wider and heavier the base, the more stable the stand will be. The trade-off, of course, is that the bigger and heavier it is, the less portable it becomes. I'd suggest something with casters to solve that problem. You'll still have a wide, heavy base so it won't easily tip but you'll be able to easily move it around your shop.

I'd also suggest adding GFCI recepticles in a box on your stand along with a hook for a small extension cord. That way you won't have to run a separate extension cord for whatevery you're doing that requires the light and will always have a cord where you need one. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you have one laying around with the ground prong gone or plug damaged here's your chance to put it to good use. You can hard wire it into your GFCI box and it'll always be there for you. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with whatever you decide, I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Gary, Those are some good ideas. I had not thought about casters. I have an apputated (sp?) extension that would be just right for the GFCI.

Thanks again

Gary

How about a truck rim with casters tacked to it as a base? Cheers, Fred

I saw one recently made from a very heavy four-caster spider base from a cast-off office chair. It had the GFI recepticle as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave