Thread: attaching tin to pole shed

attaching tin to pole shed

I am re-building a pole shed that got torn up by a tornado. There is some used tin lying around which we plan to use to patch up the bldg :. What is the best way to attach the tin to the 2x6s? Screw vs. nails, and do it have to pre-drill each? What is the best way to cut the corrugated tin? this stuff is thick! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: attaching tin to pole shed

Screws work best. Use the type that are designed for polebuildings. They are self drilling and have a rubber washer to seal the screw to the siding and keep water out. I use a screw gun with a hex adapter to put the screws on. Adjust the clutch so that you don't overdrive the screws and completely compress the rubber washer.

Some people use a plywood blade reversed in thier skill saws to do the cutting. Always use goggles and gloves . Lots of sparks.

There are other types of metal cutting blades available but the old plywood probably works as good as any.

Egon

Your first 2 replies are right on the money. So ill echo both of them [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll third the first three posts [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . There is a tin cutter that you can get that is like a giant paper cutter. They are expensive, about $600. You can rent them too. It is quick and easy. I bought one a long time ago and have never regreted it. Milwaukee and some others make a metal shear. It looks like a drill with shears where the drill would go. These are worth 10 times their weight in gold when doing buildings. They cost about $150. I would definitely get these. You can also make any cut with these.

I'll fourth the posts - When we put the metal roofing on my pole barn we used the self-drilling screws with rubber washers. We also used the backwards plywood blade to cut it. If you do, wear ear protection... I say WEAR EAR PROTECTION! I really wished I'd had one of these Air Shears . I think this would be the ideal thing for cutting the tin siding.

Yep, the air shears are neat tools; not as noisy as a circle saw in metal either. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The little reciprocating air saws are also much easier to use and not quite as noisy as a circle saw.

I've seen these in Northern tool and/or Harbor Freight. I did all my cutting with hand shears. Talk about painful.

I've used a backwards blade to cut light sheet metal and it works pretty good. You can also buy abrasive blades at Walmart for your skillsaw that work pretty good on steel. I've used them to cut sheet metal, but they make a lot of noise. (Enough to be uncomfortable). They work great, just so much noise.

Egon is right, watch the sparks. Enough to maybe set dry grass on fire.