Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Buildings

Hybrid View

Re: Portable Buildings

<font color="blue"> The steel I bought for my shed came in 24" widths. </font color>

Then you have the best of both worlds for limiting waste because all dimensional lumber isn't divisible by 3.

The standard fare of steel at the building centers around here is 3' wide, so when we plan a pole building we use the "3' Rule", as 2x material is cheaper to waste than steel. Plus it's a real nightmare to rip unless you have a set of nibblers and I'm tired of picking little chunks of steel out of my face and waiting a day for my hearing to return. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

If 2' steel was readily available then there would be virtually NO waste when building a pole barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's too bad about your zoning requirements. Since it's temporary, just put it up anyway. If they hassle you, tell them you figured the permits didn't apply to temporary shelters. Can you hide it behind some trees?

You have some similar requirements to what I needed. I wanted something I could use in one location for a year or two, then move to another location, except then I want it to be permanent. The other difference is that I wasn't as concerned about it being burglar proof. I ended up with a metal carport - Got my metal carport. I concluded it could be moved fairly easily without disassembling it. I talked to a guy who has an 18'x21' one and he said four guys picked it up and moved it. So, skidding a larger one a few hundred feet shouldn't be a problem. In your situation, you would want it totally enclosed though, which would run the price up to the same cost (or more) as a pole barn, and make it harder to move. But, if you just get the roof and then enclose the sides and ends yourself, it would be much cheaper than if you have it installed that way.

I think the container idea is a valid one for you. I'm still seriously considering one myself for extra storage room - Storage Containers. Surely you could convince the inspector that it's only temporary. It seems like one could be skidded to a new location, but I don't know what they weigh so I'm not sure. When you're done with it, you could just sell it.

Agree has a good idea too. Good luck!

Actually I'm trying to be the local inspector/sewage officer's new best friend [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] since I might need to have some bigger judgement calls go my way. Actually he gets a bad rap around here since he gets to be the heavy for the township but so far he's seemed like a nice enough guy and willing to be practical but stay within the code. I wonder if I can get away with adding 200 sq. ft. to an existing building (dilapidated) - then shortly thereafter turn around and "repair" that building?

Anyone have any idea of the tare (empty) weight on one of the 20' containers? Wondering how big of a tractor would be needed to lift one end at a time a bit with a loader (to slide a skid underneath) - and drag (on level or mild slope dirt).

I just called a container business here in the Houston area and the guy walked out and looked at the stenciled weight on a 20 ft. container - 6,200 lbs.
    Chris

"6,200 lbs"

Yikes! That presents a problem.

We used to push one around (on concrete) with a small forklift. I think you could rent or borrow a large tractor when the time came and drag it where you want.

I wanted to comment on someone else's comment. About the bad looks of containers. I personnaly don't find them that distasteful. Especially if you put a nice coat of paint on them. And compared with some of the "temporary" sheds I've seen around... I wish I had one. Particularly I like the security aspect.

Any idea how much weight one of these containers would support ON TOP?

I'm going to need a 1000-1500 poly water tank. That may solve my building a tower and having a secure storage area at the same time.

Don

&gt;&gt; Any idea how much weight one of these containers would support ON TOP?

If you frame the tank so that the weight goes to the sides and corners they'll support a lot of weight. On trains they are always double stacked and on ships they are stacked a lot higher than that.

How about a klene portable pipe building. YOu can put these on skids and move them around klene" target="_blank">http://www.klenepipe.com/]klene[/url]</a>