Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Buildings

Re: Portable Buildings

Anyone have any idea of the tare (empty) weight on one of the 20' containers? Wondering how big of a tractor would be needed to lift one end at a time a bit with a loader (to slide a skid underneath) - and drag (on level or mild slope dirt).

I just called a container business here in the Houston area and the guy walked out and looked at the stenciled weight on a 20 ft. container - 6,200 lbs.
    Chris

"6,200 lbs"

Yikes! That presents a problem.

You might want to take a look at a Porta Hut or a temporary greenhouse structure. In many places these are considered temporary structures and the rules for putting them up are a lot less restrictive. Taxes are less also.

We used to push one around (on concrete) with a small forklift. I think you could rent or borrow a large tractor when the time came and drag it where you want.

I wanted to comment on someone else's comment. About the bad looks of containers. I personnaly don't find them that distasteful. Especially if you put a nice coat of paint on them. And compared with some of the "temporary" sheds I've seen around... I wish I had one. Particularly I like the security aspect.

Could you elaborate on the "divisible by 3"? My metal building came in 30x40 standard size. (I'm having trouble getting 3 into 40?) Do you mean the standard widths of corrugation are 3 feet? The steel I bought for my shed came in 24" widths.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue"> About the bad looks of containers. I personnaly don't find them that distasteful. </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree. They're no worse than metal-sided buildings in my book. Not overly fond of those either but I can't deny the functionality. If I has my druthers I'd far prefer the look of a classic stone-and-timber barn.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue"> We used to push one around (on concrete) with a small forklift. </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how well one would move on skids on dirt? Be like a tractor pull sled - I'm thinking it a tractor bigger than even a big CUT to move a three-plus ton sled. Maybe not.

If a bunch of people get these could lead to bragging rights if the CUT can move it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> The steel I bought for my shed came in 24" widths. </font color>

Then you have the best of both worlds for limiting waste because all dimensional lumber isn't divisible by 3.

The standard fare of steel at the building centers around here is 3' wide, so when we plan a pole building we use the "3' Rule", as 2x material is cheaper to waste than steel. Plus it's a real nightmare to rip unless you have a set of nibblers and I'm tired of picking little chunks of steel out of my face and waiting a day for my hearing to return. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

If 2' steel was readily available then there would be virtually NO waste when building a pole barn. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Some of the steel containers have two ribs running from front to back already. On asphalt it took a lot for a 2wd dually truck to drag one. It did it, but not well. I can believe 3 tons easily.

You could also side the thing or something as well.

For repairing a standing building, this can often be easy even if you have to get permits.

Where I used to live it was tough to get permits for a new place, and no way to build oversize on the lot. One way around this is you get your permits and keep one wall of the old building standing, might want to brace it so it does not fall over though. Whoever did this built a huge place on too small a lot, but got away with it since they always had a wall standing, and once they had the "repairs" about done the old front of the house was removed to reveal the new monster.

That one wall was required though, since they were repairing the original structure. Went from one story on a slab to a full basement and two stories on top of that and a roof that would allow you to have an office in the attic.

I live in the sticks and am not above hiding things behind trees, but here in ohio we can get overhead photos of stuff and I can tell what I did, so someone else could also tell as well.

Any idea how much weight one of these containers would support ON TOP?

I'm going to need a 1000-1500 poly water tank. That may solve my building a tower and having a secure storage area at the same time.

Don