Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog food recommendation

Dog food recommendation

We have a 2 year old spayed female Basset Hound, Lucy. We have raised her from a pup on Science Diet dog food as we did our Miniature Dacshund, Snoopy, for 13 years 'till we lost her.

Lucy, the Bassett, is an indoor dog but she gets a half-mile walk every day (weather permitting) and spends several hours a day outside on her run in the summer time.

Snoopy did well on Science Diet. Her health and weight were always good and the SD "filled her up".

Lucy, on the other hand, while being fine healty-wise is on the verge of a weight problem. We never give her table scraps, tightly control snacks and feed her just the recommended amount. While this keeps her weight under control (barely), she is ALWAYS hungry. She forages constantly, eating the tiniest dust bunny in the house.

At one point, our vet gave us some "prescription" dog food at $35 a bag. We were able to feed Lucy a little more of that at each meal than the SD but that did not really resolve the constantly hungry issue.

Anyone have any ideas on a low fat, low calorie dog food that will leave a dog satisfied and not scavenging for dust bunnies between meals?

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

Re: Dog food recommendation

Dog food is very expensive, we have 3 dogs to feed. You may try a cheaper brand or give your dog snacks of healthy food. Most dogs love raw carrots and apples. work up slow so the dog doesn't have diarrhea. Also try a diet dry food and put beef broth or bouillon on it for extra flavor. Of course there's always increasing exercise. Just like people, that will help. But I would try the veggies first. Most dogs love veggies, both raw and cooked. Mix in extra cook green beans, broccoli, spinach, etc. but go slow.

It is my understanding that as feed quality increases, the recommended amount decreases. I'd talk with the feed store owner - they often know what brand works better for certain breeds/conditions.

What I find amazing with my dogs is how sensitive they are to changes in quantity. Rook - my hyperactive German Shorthair, gets 6 cups a day. If I change it to 7, I can see a difference in 3 days.

<font color="blue">Most dogs love raw carrots and apples </font color>

Mine do. Vet says the ruffage goes right thru them w/o adding weight.
    Hazmat

Thanks for the ideas. We'll try the veggies-as-treats idea and also look into another dog food. Makes sense that a lower quality dog food would have more "filler" so we could feed more and still get the same nutrition - just need to make sure the filler isn't empty calories. We'll talk to the feed store.

Thanks again.

On overweight rescues in need of reduction we cut their dog food and substitute an equal amount of canned (unsalted) green beans. Plenty of fiber and bulk, so they feel full, but they can't digest the stuff.

Pete

Cooked Minute Rice is a good filler, too.
    On another note, I can't remember where I read this, but for those feeding fruit and similar stuff for snacks (I do too) DO NOT feed grapes or raisins. They don't know why yet, but it has been found that a relatively small amount can cause kidney failure and death in a significant number of dogs. It might have said 50%, I'm pulling from memory here.

Fred

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Wow, I never heard that about grapes and raisins!!! Thanks for that info, I'll ask our vets if they have any info on that, and if they do, I'll post it!

While we're on the subject of what NOT to feed dogs, I hope everyone here knows that chocolate is toxic to dogs!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

fred,

<font color="blue"> DO NOT feed grapes or raisins. They don't know why yet, but it has been found that a relatively small amount can cause kidney failure and death in a significant number of dogs. It might have said 50%, I'm pulling from memory here.
    </font color>
    not that I dont' believe you, but where did this info come from? I'd like to learn more. My mom's cockerspainel loves grapes. I can't recall our vet telling us not to feed them to dogs.
    Hazmat

Found it!
    It was in March's issue of Dog Fancy, the one with the Norwegian Elkhound on the cover. The article was written from information gotten from the address I have typed (not sure if it will come out as hypertext or not).
    BTW, while we're on toxins, uncooked onions are bad news, too. And green potato skins.

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=189

Fred