Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog food recommendation

Re: Dog food recommendation

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    One problem we have is keeping him out of the cat food however.

[/ QUOTE ]

We keeep the cat's food downstairs in the rec room where Lucy can't go - or she would be in that too.

We have her on Science Diet Light. Her weight is under control it's just that the poor dog seems to be hungry all the time. We'll be trying the suggestions others have mentioned.
    My wife found another food - Nutro Natural Choice that seems to have all the nutrients as Science Diet. Mayb it will fill her up more. We'll see.

Thanks again

well for one your dog is just reaching her mature age thats when they tend to start filling out . did you try feeind her less amounts during the day say when you get up in the morning give her 1\2 cup of foood . they agian maybe at lunch time . and then again at dinner time. try healthy snacks apples carrots etc. and i would . call the vet and tell them about the problem and that the food isnt working . and that you need something more affordable . the prices they charge for special foods is out ragois. i know we have three dogs 2 cats. <font color="blue"> </font color> [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

something to think about...

1st off... Bakers Chocolate is the deadly form of chocolate that will have deadly effects on a dog, but they have to eat quite a bit of it too.

M&amp;M's.. even with nuts isn't harmful to dogs. What I was told by a emergency animal vet was that they could eat a whole bag of them and all it might do is give them diarrea and maybe an upset tummy.

There is NO conclusive proof that grapes are harmful, at least the seedless kind anyhow. 2 or 3 or 5 isn't going to hurt any of them. But you have to keep in mind of body weight/size also...

Dog food... I suggest Flint River Ranch. It doesn't cost any more than Iams or Science diet..

What most people don't realize is the poor quality of ingredience these dog food mfg co's use. They have to coat the food with "Animal FAT" to make it tasty.. the better it tastes, the more fat.

FRR is all natural, no preservatives, uses human grade ingredients and its shipped to your door.
    I use the senior/overweight formula for my Boston because he spends so much time sleeping (I drive truck OTR) and he looks great.

Call them and they will send you a free sample of what you want

I didn't go through this whole thread (I may have even posted in it before [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ), but grapes and raisins ARE harmful to dogs. There HAS been studies done and I believe even Dog Fancy had an article. If I remember right, and I don't always, I think the the kidneys are in danger.

I feed Canidae. I used to feed a BARF diet for 3-1/2 years, but when I moved to the country I didn't visit my city butcher as often as I used to and he stopped getting in chicken backs for me. Canidae isn't as pricey as FRR, is considered holistic, has been in the top 10 in Whole Dog Journal for about 8 yrs now, is one of the few foods that doesn't swell when wet (or in your dogs stomach) and is great for dogs with allergies or bad skin/coat.

I get to see dogs and the effect of their food every day and I will admit, some dogs seem to do well no matter what they eat (such as Ol Roy), but those dogs also eat at least twice as much as dogs on *good* food and cleanup is also twice as much.

Different foods affect dogs different ways, too. Even if they are *good* foods. Two of my dogs didn't do well on Azmira. I had a customer that also fed Azmira PLUS the dog got antacids and yogurt with every meal. I told her something wasn't right even if it was a highly rated food and told her my dogs experience with it. She switched and no more stomach problems or gas in her dog, but I'm sure there must be dogs that thrive on that food or they wouldn't make it.

Find what works and don't be afraid to switch.

Hi
    We have a Black Lab and a small poodle. We feed them Diamond Dog Food. It comes in about any combination you want. We pay 21.00 for a 40.00 lb bag and it last a long time.

It doesn't have a bunch of fillers in it. They eat less and don't have to go to the bathroom as much.

They look good too. He (the lab) has a beautiful shiny coat.
    Vet just did his check up last week. Commented on how nice he looked.

We buy this dog food at a feed store.

Hope this helps.
    Koolaide in SW Illinois <font color="blue"> </font color>