Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog food recommendation

Re: Dog food recommendation

Fred,

Thanks, I'll pass it along to my mom. More tasty grapes for me [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Ourt Bassett got ahold of a grape once. It was a riot watching her roll that thing around in her big ole mouth "feeling" it and trying to figure out what to do with it! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I, too, had heard that chocolate was toxic to dogs, so I never gave any to a dog, but my brother had a dog for many years that loved to share his cashews and M&Ms (brother told me he hadn't heard that dogs couldn't handle chocolate and apparently "Curley" didn't know he wasn't supposed to eat it either so he loved M&Ms). [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

My mom's cockerspaniel, ate an etire box of fund raiser chocolate bars (5#). She was running around the house, & didn't sleep all night, but made it thru w/o any heart failure.
    Hazmat

From what I remember reading somewhere (and please don't ask me to look this one up, I wouldn't know where to start [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), it's really the baking chocolate that can mess a dog up. I'm not sure how many people bake from scratch anymore, but I remember it as bitter tasting and looking like regular chocolate chips. You really need to give a dog a lot of the other chocolate, proportionate to its size of course, for something bad to happen. I still stay away from it though. For them, not me [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Fred

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Hi Bird!!! I was wondering when I'd see you on CBN!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Apparently there's a chemical in chocolate that is actually toxic to dogs. I don't remember the name of the chemical, [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] but my wife (Earthmother) probably will. She won't be on-line until Monday, but I'm sure she'll post what it is!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Almost every time I see or hear a discussion of "Chocolate is toxic to dogs", it is accompanied by several stories like "My dog ate the chocolate easter bunny and didn't die." but I've never heard even one like "My dog ate a hershey bar and died."

I don't know if it is an urban legend or not but we keep chocolate far away from our dog just in case. Why take the chance?

It's toxic, but apparently the quantity needed to do damage is up there a bit. One of our rescues (80# male) ate half a pound of my wife's absolute favorite chocolate fudge. We rushed Killian Red to the vet immediately and were informed that he was in more danger from my wife than from half a pound of fudge. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete

ASPCA Chocolate toxicity

Sorry we've wander off course a little bit. Like every other toxin it is a matter of the concentration that it takes to cause harm or death. Some nasty stuff is lethal in extremely small quantities, other stuff takes years of exposure and/or a big dose to cause a problem
    Hazmat

Our cocker weighed 42 pounds, and was getting little pudgy. We changed from Iams lamb and rice to Iams "Weight Control" and he has lost down to 35 pounds in a few months. He seems to like it fine and we keep it down all the time.

He had back surgery and has not had a lot of exercise (running and jumping) for 2 months.

One problem we have is keeping him out of the cat food however.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek