Thread: Glue for plastic toys

Glue for plastic toys

This is a bit off topic, but I'm have a terrible time finding a glue that will work on plastic toys. Nothing seems to hold. I've tried modeling cement, epoxy, Crazy Glue, JB Weld and a few others I don't remember the name of. I'm about ready to get out the solder gun and try to melt the next thing back together.

What has worked for gluing plastics for some of you?

Re: Glue for plastic toys

Have you tried ZAP ?
    Hazmat

You could always try a hot glue gun.

Maybe P.F.M. ? (about half way down This Page.)

Danny,

A lot depends on which type of plastic you are trying to glue, in what kind of item, and how much stress will be on the joint.

But, you might try good old PVC pipe glue. It seems to do a good job with plumbing, but again, if the type of plastic won't accept this kind of glue, well...

Steve

Your kids must think like mine, "Dad, I know you can glue this (insert toy of choice) so it's just like new." I remember spending an hour taking apart a motorized Tonka crane to put some new rope on it and resolder a broken connection. What we do for our kids.....

I personally have had good luck with 5 minute epoxy and super glue, but I'm sure it has alot to do with the type of plastic.
    Jim

Well, I tried the solder gun and it melted it right together, but it didn't last. I'll try some of the suggestions here. Thanks!

Just lets us know which one works.

Steve

A couple of years ago, over on tractorbynet there was a thread called This is not a coffee cup!

This thread, I believe, defined the essence of the -bynet.com forums. It was wide ranging and enduring. It demonstrated the depth and breadth of the knowledge of the members of the -bynet.com forums. The thread is, to say the least, a classic. But I digress.

The thread was about a guy who wanted to glue some magnets to the bottom of a 7-11 Big Gulp cup so he could sitck it to the fender of his tractor.

Relevant to your question, Mosey was the challenge of gluing plastic. I quote from one of the posts here. It was posted on 11/09/00 by Harv and I recommend you go to the thread linked above and peruse it because there are many more posts in it that address your issue and suggest alternatives.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;
    Posted by Harv Re: This is Not a coffee cup!

Thanks for your test results. Sounds like your glue will ultimately perform as well as Goop, which ain't bad at all.

***** Beginning of extra boring dissertation *****

I decided to try out this product called "Nbond", which claims to actually bond to polypropylene, rather than "stick" to it. I believe the distinction here is that Goop-like glues form a "mechanical" connection to the polypropylene. That is, it interlocks with the molecular surface of the material without really interacting with it.

"Bonding", on the other hand, implies that the glue and the polypropylene actually intermingle on a molecular level -- virtually a "weld" of dissimilar materials. Intuitively you can see that this would be the stronger attachment.

I spoke to a tech-type at the Nbond company and he explained about high and low-energy plastics.

If you didn't believe the first boring warning, this is your last chance.

"High energy" plastics, the most common type, contains a lot of electron activity which makes it quite willing to interact with other substances. "Low energy" materials, such as teflon, polypropylene and polyethylene, have little molecular activity going on and are therefore quite indifferent (inert, if you will) when brought into contact to dissimalar substances, such as glue.

The Nbond glue is formulated to actually "excite" the polypropylene molecules (foreplay?), thereby opening the door, so to speak, for a true reaction and genuine bonding.

Now here's the real sci-fi part (for those of you who are still awake) -- you can deepen the bond by raising the energy level of the polypropylene ahead of time by focusing the flame of a propane torch onto the target area for a short time. It's not just the heat, but the releasing of oxygen from within the material (I won't pretend to fully understand this part of his story). And catch this -- once this procedure has been applied, the molecular energy level of the plastic will remain elevated for more than 48 hours! No need to rush the glue job when your done with the torch.

The final result, after gluing and curing (48 hours), is a deep bonding, where the two materials have literally become one. (Kind of romantic, don't you think?)

Anyway, I've ordered the glue and will attempt the entire torching procedure as he described. My confidence level is sufficiently high that, well..., I might just pick up an extra cup at 7-Eleven, just in case.

I intend to wind up with two completed Chalkley Cups -- one using Goop and the other Nbond. It will be interesting to see if either one ever comes apart.

***** End really boring dissertation *****

Those of you who read this far, please signify by raising your hand.

Harv

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

Again, go read the whole thread, it's worth the effort.