Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European Light Fixtures

European Light Fixtures

Not being an electrician I need help. I have seen some styles of light fixtures that I would like to have in my planned log home. Other than changing the plug an bulb are there any other concerns that I should have?? Being as the cord is designed for 220V I assume 110 would be no problem?? I have seen some styles that I havent seen back home and would sure like to bring back with me. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: European Light Fixtures

Do the bulbs used in Europe have the same base as those we use in North America? Never considered that before. Other than that you might find that the spacing of the mounting holes and the like don't fit the American boxes. Also might not be UL listed, and that might be an issue if a fire, heaven forbid, is traced to one of those fixtures.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The biggest issue we have with imported fixtures is a listing from some approved testing laboratory such as UL. I see too many that were made in Mexico, Italy and the like that just were made with safety in mind. Incorrect size wiring, bends in the arms of the fixture too tight pinching the wires....etc. NO GROUNDING means available.

Just my thoughts, but watch what you pick up.

Jerry

I think you got some good cautions, so I'll just make some useless technical comments. Yes, in general wiring safe for 220 is fine for 110, voltage wise. The same wire that will supply power to a device that needs say, 500 watts ( a chandelier for example) may be inadequate for supplying 500 watts to 110 volt bulbs. Doubling the voltage at the same power level requires 1/2 the amps. So if you have a chandelier made for 220v and totals 500 watts it used 500/220 or about 2.27 amps. To get 500 watts of light with 110 volts would take twice the amps or a little over 4 1/2 amps. The European wire is insulated for 220volts plus a safety margin but may be sized for the current expected plus a safety margin. That safety margin might be 10-20 percent not 100+ percent.

You gave no clue as to the kind of fixtures in question so in trying to help you we have less to go on than one of the three blind men checking out the elephant.

Assuming standard fillament bulbs, not fluorescents, or halogen or any other hi-tech light, just consider rewiring the fixtures with proper wire (with highly visible UL labeling (much wire caries the UL marking on its insulation) Then in case of fire your insurance will not be so easily voided. I've heard of chases where non UL devices were found in the wreckage of a burned house and the insurance co used that as grounds to deny the claim even though the non UL device was not shown to be the cause of the fire. (Not personally confirmed but plausable)

If you give us some more detail we migt be able to help you better.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks to all for your help. I think I will forget getting electrical stuff over here and find what I want when I get home. I never thought about not being UL rated and the possible problem that it could cause if there were a fire.

Just a passing thought. When I was stationed in Germany I bought a shrunk (wall unit) that with all the really cool back lighting and stuff, with the idea that when I got back to the states I could just change the plug and the bulb and be 110 ready..., wrong the base of the bulbs in europe are larger then those in the US also. I ended up rewiring the units with Christmas tree lights and using clear bulbs.

Doesn't Europe run at 50 htz.

Egon

<font color="blue"> Doesn't Europe run at 50 htz.
    </font color>
    not just Europe ... thinks it's most of the rest of the world. But that's the only similarity ....l. if you want a real chain-yanker ... just take a look at a power converter kit and see all the different types of connectors the use in Europe.
    It seems like every country has a different "standard"
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Here's a web site http://www.franklin-electric.com/emp.../fe-power.html that shows a lot of different plugs and the countries associated with each.

There's even information on the bottom of the page on obtaining a guide to power systems around the world.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

What is exact diameter of regular electrical bulb in USA? I want to make sure it fits into European Fixture. <font color="purple"> </font color>