Thread: Extended cab pickups

Extended cab pickups

Does anybody know the differences in back seat room of extended cab pickups for the Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford brands? This would be for a 1995-1999 model year. For some reason I have the impression that the Chevy/GMC pickups have more leg room, but I really don't know that for a fact. I'm talking about the typical extended cab, with or without the 3rd door that opens toward the back, not the crew cab or any other extra large cab.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Extended cab pickups

My wife and I have a 2001 extended cab Silverado. The back seat is very comfortable, with plenty of leg room. And the seat flips up, like a jump seat, so you can have inside cargo room.

We love the Silverado. We have 45,000 miles on it, and have not have any problems. We give it hard use, hauling hay, and even towing hay wagons. We don't have a single complaint about it! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I have been able to find the following via web surfing. The 2003 info came from the manufacturers current web site. The Dodge specs were a surprise.

1997 Chevy Extended Cab
    Headroom (front/rear) 39.9/37.5 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 41.7/34.8 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 65.4/67.6 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 60.0/64.2 in.

1998 Chevy Extended Cab
    Headroom (front/rear) 40.0/37.5 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 41.7/34.8 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 65.4/67.6 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 60.0/64.2 in.

1999 Chevy Extended Cab
    Headroom (front/rear) 41.0/38.4 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 41.3/33.7 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 65.2/66.3 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 61.4/61.5 in.

2003 Chevy Extended Cab
    Headroom (front/rear) 41.0/38.4 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 41.3/33.7 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 65.2/66.3 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 61.4/61.5 in.

Ford 2003 Supercab (Front max./Rear min.)
    Headroom (front/rear) 40.8/37.8 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 40.9/32.2 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 63.8/63.8 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 61.0/63.2 in.

Dodge 2003 Quad Cab
    Headroom (front/rear) 40.8/40.0 in.
    Legroom (front/rear) 41/36.4 in.
    Shoulder room (front/rear) 67/66.7 in.
    Hip room (front/rear) 65.1/64.6 in.

I'm on my second x-cab pickup. I have the Dodge quad cab now('01), and had a x-cab on my '89 Ford F250.

My back seat flips up also. It has a neat organizer under it, which I have filled with a tool kit, trailer wire adapters, ect.

I still like the older Ford style flip seat better. The bottom flipped over and forward, upside down. The seat back flipped down to fill the space from where the bottom had moved, to create a nice flat surface. The seat backs were a hard plastic. It was great for stacking things on. It was also nice, because it made a larger platform for the dogs to sit on too, without them sitting on the seat itself. I had a horse/saddle blanket I put back there, and the dogs were happy.

With this flip up seat in the Dodge, similar to Chevy, Things have to sit on the little tool organizer. Or, if I remove it, they sit on the floor. That's ok, but the floor is nor flat. And, with the seat flipped up, there is not as much room from the back of the driver seat to the flipped up rear seat.

The new truck setup is nice in it's own way, but that older Ford design made better use of the space.

IMHO, of course [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I've had a '97 Chevy Extended Cab and now a '99 Chevy Silverado Extended. Bought both because of more room than the competitors - well that isn't the only reason but a big plus. When we first had the kids w/ the '99 we had a carrier that we used in the back seat all of the time and had plenty of room both front and rear, wife w/ some place w/ her aunt in her '99 F150. Had a heck of a time getting the carrier into the back seat. Ended up having to put the seat all the way forward. Guess it still left a mark on the seat.

BTW, we now have two full size car seats in the back seat of Silverado w/ a basket of toys in the middle. If we take the toys out there is enough room for a person to ride in the middle.
    Chevy came out w/ the 3rd door in '96. I would highly recommend this as an option. Makes entry/exit much much easier. Started becoming pretty much "standard" in '97 even though it was still an option. I think new it was only a $670 option.

Danny,
    My former boss had the Silverado Ext Cab, while I had the SD F250 Super Cab. Mine had a tad more room. Then I down-sized to an F150 Super Cab. It has a bit less leg room in the back than the Silverado I think.
    But........I'll never get one that isn't an ext. cab again. This my 3rd one. Just too useful.