Thread: Transplanting Oak Trees

Transplanting Oak Trees

I have several Oak sapplings I'd like to relocate. They average about 1-2 inches in diameter and about 5-9 feet tall. How much of the roots do I need to take to insure the transplants survive? I'd like to do it as soon as the frost leaves the ground. I've heard about the various moon phases, does that have any real impact? Thanks for your inputs. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Transplanting Oak Trees

Take all of the roots that you can,I have always heard it is best to transplant a tree during the months that have the letter r in the name of the month. Why you ask?Because these are the months the trees are mostly dormant.That does not mean what I say is absolutely right,but it always seemed to work for me.

The most successful method is to cut the roots at approximate size of ball you can handle and leave the tree sitting there until next year then dig it up by cutting just a tad farther out and relocate. I've done this on dozens in the 3-5 foot range and about a half-bushel of rootball/dirt with zero failures. I feel it helps to have a very sharp shovel both for your back and the health of the tree. I dunno about trees of bigger size.

Don't cut any more than you have to off the tap root. It is long as on most nut trees. We transplanted 5 that were 3+"[base] with a 48" tree spade and they all lived. Up to 3' high I have had some luck with a shovel. bcs

Thanks for all the insight. Looks like if I get them moved by the end of April and get as much of a rootball has I can handle with spade and FEL I should have a resonable chance of success. Again thanks to all who responded. This website is proving to be a very valuable source for information exchange and I really enjoy it.