Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer

Deer

I had up to 9 deer in my yard this evening. They would leave and return. Did this about 4 times before finally leaving. JIM

Re: Deer

Talking about deer. There are a heck of a lot of them wandering around my property. I'm told that "Lyme" disease is from Deer Ticks. Should I be concerned about that?? I'm looking forward to spending time with my grandson's and sure <font color="red"> </font color> to catch it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have them roaming my property also. I worrie about lymes also. I do alot of bush hogging right in the spring in my back woods and spring is suppose to be a big time for ticks, but so far ive been lucky

Yes you do have to worry about it. When we first bought the place we are at right now there were ticks everywhere. The pasture was home to countless deer everyday. Now that I have the cattle and horses on it and the deer are gone we had just about zero problems with ticks last year. Before that you couldn't walk through there without a swarm of ticks on you. My poor girls would have seven or eight a day on them if they went through there. The poor animals would have dozens on them. This last year I never found a single one.

Doc, Based on what the result was on your property, if I can reduce the deer population there could be a reduction in ticks. As I understand it ,deer ticks are about the size of a pin head and these are the ones to be concerned about. Normal wood ticks, although quite disgusting do not transmit Lyme.
    Does anyone have an idea how to reduce the deer population,especially if they are just passing through?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Personally, I find they make tasty chops, steaks and burgers. If that is not your fancy, you will have to convince them that it is not good to continue following the path that they have always followed, and to begin walking across your neighbor's property.

Steve

The deer ticks are certainly bigger than a pinhead around here. You can see them. Yes you are right that the wood ticks don't transmit lyme. We would pick both kinds off regularly.

We got every deer tag we could those first few years. A few of my other friends tagged quite a few as well. That along with using the ground led to their decreased population around our area.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Although deer ticks are certainly carried by deer, they are most often carried by mice. Eliminating deer in your area will not neccessarily eliminate deer ticks. Many areas with no deer at all are hot beds for Lymes. The best way to reduce deer ticks is by free ranging chickens or guinea fowl. They consider all ticks quit a delicacy!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Thanks Rich, I never knew that mice carried deer ticks. CBN and TBN never cease to amaze me with all the info one can get.

I believe deer ticks run a life cycle and grow from small to large, which is why everybody knows them as different sizes.

While I am concerned about ticks and Lyme disease, I believe the threat of mosquitos and West Nile is worse.

Steve