Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer

Re: Deer

Unless you are immune compromised or elderly you don't have much to worry about from west nile. Most people that get it never even know that they have it. The few that do get it usually are no sicker than the average flu. Now if you're older or immune compromised or are a horse then you need to worry.

Well, I don't think I am Immune compromised. And although I am not a horse there are some that think I'm part of a horses anatomy. So that leaves OLDER! Pray tell, how old would that be Doc?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you're in your 70s and 80s I'd be worried about it. If you're in your 60s I'd be slightly concerned. 40's and 50's I wouldn't give it too much thought unless you're not in good health. If you're in good to excellent health I wouldn't worry at all.

Cowboydoc,

Don't they have a West Nile vaccination for horses though? Or is it kind of like the Lyme vaccination for people? More boosters and trouble than it's worth?

Steve

Horses are still dying from it even though they are vaccinated. I lost two young mares in excellent health to it last year who were vaccinated.

Is the vaccination failing then, or is it more like rabies that needs a booster?

Last year was pretty bad for west nile here, but I haven't heard of a lot of horse cases. I did manage to see a crow acting like it was drunk though. Standing in the middle of the road and walking in circles. I almost ran it down before it wobbled out of the way.

Steve

Yes will need a booster and yes it did fail on alot of horses. The efficacy isn't known yet. Some vets claimed it did more harm than good and others said it saved alot of horses so it's hard to tell.

We may wind up seeing programs to drastically reduce the number of mosquitos. They've done it before with other diseases.

Steve

Thats nothing I had about 20 yesterday night!

I get a bunch, too. There are about 10 or so out there now, making themselves at home. I used to try and chase them off until my wife caught me running towards them yelling at the top of my lungs. She loves to tell that story to anyone that will listen (and I really don't think I looked quite as silly as she makes out [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

I'm trying to find a way to keep them away from a big garden I'm putting in. I don't really have anything against them and don't mind sharing the space but would like to be able to grow some stuff for myself. They like grass, I really am not fond of it [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ...Chris