Thread: Best Soil Test (How does my garden grow?)

Best Soil Test (How does my garden grow?)

Today, My wife asked me what I thought about a 3 prong electronic Soil PH tester she saw in a magazine. I told her that I didn't, but that I would do a little research on the subject.

I have searched TBN/CBN and the majority of threads talk about taking samples to the county extension office to have the soil tested.

In the alternative, what is the collective's opinion on the various types of do-it-yourself PH tests (e.g., handheld electronic, litmus(?), etc.)?

From other threads, it seems the biggest advantage of the extension is that they would tell you (or at least they told others, I would hope they would tell me too) how much of which thing (lime, fertilizer etc.) to put on each acre. I will most likely go the extension route, but I wondered about the DIY testers.

This is our sophomore garden and we are expanding. First garden on our own property, so I will be discing under who knows how many years of weed growth, leaves etc. Any tips about discing, sight prep etc. I've been searching the forums on gardens so that my reality will now include gardening on a bigger scale than last year (20' X 25') so pointing me to previous threads would be appreciated. I'll eventually get to reading them.

Thanks

Clint.

si vis pacem para bellum

Re: Best Soil Test (How does my garden grow?)

I don't know anything about the do it yourself tests, but in Texas at least, it's pretty inexpensive to just get the bags and paperwork from the county agent, take soil samples, send them in, and get a complete analysis back.

There's alot more to it than just the pH. Get a soil test each fall and then apply what you need for the next year. Most of the diy tests are not worth your time.

Clint,

I work in a Chemistry Department....I took my soil samples to the Extension folks. I think it was $7.00 or $9.00.

Chuck