Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroke

Stroke

Well, my second best friend (hey, you never know, my wife might check up on me .... you're my best friend, honey) seems to have had a stroke Friday. Samson is a 15 year old husky/airdale cross and I've had him and his sister since they were about 14 months old. Got them from an abusive family and it took years to get them to not cringe whenever I'd raise my voice (as I often do when the news is on). Had to put Delilah to sleep 15 months ago ... and I've been dreading the day that Samson started showing his age.
    Anyway, Carolyn called me at work on Friday to say that he'd had a stroke and managed to drag himself back inside but had trouble standing without toppling over and had vomited violently (on the carpet, of course). By the time I got home, he was doing pretty good but wanted to do nothing but rest, close to my feet. He seemed a "little" better by late evening and managed to go out to get ready for bed - only falling a half dozen times.
    Saturday was a repeat of Friday evening ... couldn't get him to eat or drink, but he would go out if he felt the need.
    Saturday evening, he perked up a little when we were having supper ... guess the chicken smelled good ... and he nibbled a bit when Carolyn proffered it ... and then ate a bit more ... and then went to take a drink of water (his first in 32 hours).
    Sunday he seemed a little perkier and only lost his balance when he tried to shake himself ... and last night he actually looked alert for the first time since the stroke.
    Anyway ... Friday I steeled myself to just spend time with him until he went in his sleep .... today it looks like he intends to stick around for awhile yet.
    Didn't get anything that I'd planned to do this weekend done ... but it turned out to be a good weekend after all. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Stroke

I'm sorry to hear about that, Pete! Dogs can recover from strokes, and there are medications to help. I assume you've taken him to the vet. What did the vet say?
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Pete -- The dog lovers among us live in dread of the day we have to say goodbye. Our thoughts are with you; keep us informed.

Pete

Pete,
    Sure hope Samson rebounds from all of this. I have no idea what I'd do without my favorite "helper".
    Shoot, I didn't even want this mutt, but now......none of you have enough money to buy him from me [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry

latest word is that he's made an AMAZING recovery ... last night he was moving around like he always has before ... getting inquisitive again ... never thought I'd see a recovery like that! He's acting like nothing really happened, which - considering it's only been 3 days - is fantastic.
    I never really expected he'd be around at 15+ years, much less frisky and happy.

pete

Pete, that's FANTASTIC news!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm REALLY happy for you AND Samson!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich

thanks Rich ... you can just imagine how happy I am too.
    Sorry I hadn't responded to your previous post yet ... we hadn't taken him to the vet yet ... vet is not standard practice for us here. I'm against ANY unnecessary taxation and the counties here all enforce licensing of dogs at an unreal rate ... and use the vets to enforce that. If a vet decided to report me ... and they would ... I'd have to pay the license fee plus a fine of several hundred dollars ... and my dogs NEVER leave my property. So, consider me a conscientious objector. (Of course, I WOULD take either of the dogs to the vet, regardless, if I thought they needed it).

pete

Wingnut,

If you want, I'll email the name and number for my vet. He doesn't play that game and is far enough away to be safe.

Steve

sure thing ... even if not right now ... it might come in handy later. Thanks Steve

pete

Pete, how is Samson doing? Is he continuing to improve? My wife and I have been thinking of you and Samson!
    Rich